Chapter 5

~Wren~

•••

I quietly tiptoed down the attic stairs in my socks, then past my Father's room on the second floor and, finally, down the stairs to the main floor. I opened the coat-closet door as quietly as possible, but it still creaked. I reached into the closet and pulled out my brown boots, then, after putting them on, I snuck out the door. After I had walked a block away from my house, I broke into a run. The cemetery was only another block away. I dashed through the graveyard gate then, wasting no time, I dashed straight to the wall, climbing it, using the stones as footholds. I pulled myself up to the top of the wall, heart racing. I can't believe I'm doing this. I'm coming for you, Adel... My thoughts are suddenly shattered as I hear a gasp and....the sound of a frog? Coming from a ways to the right of me. I look over to see two boys and, yes, a frog, sitting on the wall about 15 feet to my right. I let out a small shriek then jump down from the wall back to the cemetery and run. I'm not sure why, but I run, nonetheless.

I can here the boys running after me, one shouts "After her!" I think it was the taller one, wearing the red hat. I keep running.

I'm sorry Adel...I'm sorry...