Chapter One

"Ugh...this book is just frustrating!" Annalise cried as she buried her face in her hands. She looked up again at her computer screen trying to figure out her next start to the third chapter in her first romance novel. "I hate this. Why did I decide to even try and become a writer? Oh, I don't know, because I wanted to," she grumbled to herself.

It was Annalise's first year in college and she was trying to make the best start out of her English class she was taking. She looked over to her roommate Ella who lay passed out on her bunk from the long day. Annalise sighed and closed her computer screen. Suddenly her phone buzzed on her nightstand. She picked it up and saw her best friend Sirus had texted.

"Hey, it's a nice night out. Wanna go do something?" was the text. Annalise smiled and replied.

"I'd love too! Feeling a bit cooped up here in my dorm," and she sent it.

"Alright! See you in a few!" Sirus replied in text. Annalise grabbed her light sweatshirt and her dorm keys before heading out. She met Sirus over by the front of the Library.

"Long day?" Sirus asked Annalise with a chuckle when she approached him.

"Yeah, way more than just long. My head is going to pour my brain out of my ears," Annalise said with a sigh. Sirus laughed. "Hey! It's not funny!" Annalise said slapping Sirus lightly on the shoulder.

"Ok, ok. I'm sorry," he said apologizing. "So, it's nice out. I thought we'd walk," Sirus continued. Annalise nodded and then both started heading out of campus. The fall trees rustled in the soft Autumn breeze.

"So, how have you been? I haven't gotten to hear much from you since College started," Annalise said looking over at Sirus.

"Theatre is going pretty well, but all these papers we have to write are just downright awful! You English people have it easy, that's all you ever do!" Sirus exclaimed and Annalise laughed, her pale blue eyes twinkled under the dim street lights.

"Well Sirus, you're not alone. I'm having a hard time getting my novel started," Annalise said looking down at the sidewalk.

"What's it about?" Sirus asked.

"It's about this girl and all she wants in life is love. She wants to start with a fresh page, but every guy she dates she thinks will be the one, never turns out to be. Until this guy, Liam Stone shows up in her life and it's love at first sight. That's pretty much all I have for a summary," Annalise answered.

"Hmmm," Sirus thought, his brow furrowing. "It sounds interesting, but what makes this book any different than any other romance novel?" Sirus asked.

"That's the problem! I don't know how to spice it up, because it'll just be like every other romance novel out there in the world," Annalise answered. Sirus looked over at her, his green eyes gazing over her troubled face.

"I know you'll think of something," he said.

"I hope so," Annalise replied. They walked in silence a little bit longer, neither of them saying much. Annalise looked out towards the street when she felt Sirus's hand brush up against hers. Her breath caught in her throat, and she blushed slightly.

"S..sorry," Sirus said noticing.

"No, no. It's ok," Annalise replied looking away. "Maybe we should head back," she continued.

"Yeah, Sirus said.

Both of them then quickly headed back to campus. They said their goodbyes and retreated to their dorms. Annalise got to her dorm room and found Ella still asleep on her bed. A smile raised at Annalise's mouth as she turned and got ready for bed.

The next morning, Annalise groaned as she felt around for her alarm clock to shut it up.

"Morning sleepyhead," Ella said smiling at Annalise.

"Morning Ella," Annalise replied tiredly.

'Hey, where did you go last night? You were gone for half an hour and I wasn't sure where you went," Ella said looking at her.

"I thought you were sleeping," Annalise said.

"I was asleep, but woke up at 10 p.m. You were gone around then," Ella said. Annalise's eyes traveled over to her computer and sighed.

"Hey, do you have any good ideas for how to write a romance novel?" Annalise asked.

"Oh come on girl, that's easy!" Ella exclaimed with a smile.

"Yeah, easy for you to say, since your so in love with your boyfriend Jason," Annalise grumbled.

"Maybe something will come up," Ella said as she got up to use the bathroom. "I'll be right back," she said and left. Annalise got up and went over to her computer and logged into it before she pulled up her novel. Her fingers tapped lightly on top of the keyboard still thinking of how to start chapter three. She hung her head in despair and closed the computer screen.

"What am I doing to do?" Annalise asked herself.

"Have you thought of a guy character for your book?" Ella asked her as she exited the bathroom.

"Yeah, the guy in it, his name is Liam Stone," Annalise replied.

"OOOO, there's just something with that name, Liam that just gets me! You know like Liam Hemsworth? He is such a hottie!" Ella swooned as she flopped onto her bed.

"Well, this Liam is different. He's kind, strong, brave. He's tall too, about 6'1 and has dark brown hair and piercing blue eyes like mine. A reassuring voice and arms that will protect you from harm," Annalise said dreamily.

"Wow, this guy is pretty hot," Ella said smiling.

"Maybe if I get the book done, you can read it and drool all over Liam if you want," Annalise said with a laugh and a shake of her head.

"Anna, love does exist, and I know how badly you want to have a relationship with someone. What about Sirus? I'm pretty sure he's had his eyes on you for a while now," Ella said.

"Sirus and I are just best friends, that's all," Annalise replied.

"Just friends? Dude, do you not see the way he looks at you when you two are talking? He's totally in love with you!" Ella cried.

"You're probably just seeing things," Annalise said. Ella didn't say anything. She just got up and got dressed.

"I'm going out with Jason for breakfast, care to join?" Ella asked, her blonde hair shining in the sunlight coming from the window.

"No, I'll just eat breakfast at the cafeteria," Annalise said quietly.

"Diner food is anything but better than the Gag," Ella replied before she left the dorm room.