Reforged Alliances: A Broken Prophecy Story Chapter 3

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 3

"Shadewings!" a deep booming voice calls from above. Kari cracks a bleary eye, her brain trying to make sense of what she is seeing. A large dragon with four wings hovers above her home. A warmth against her back shift, drawing in the cool night air.

"Cloudjumper?" Tannlaus calls back.

"Your home is hard to find in the dark." The large dragon chuckles as he lands. Three tiny shapes lunge from the darkness and quickly overtake the big dragon. With an exaggerated "Oomph!" the big Skycutter falls over, letting the hatchlings climb over him. "You three have grown strong and fierce!"

The trio chatter excitedly, their stories lost in the confusion. Cloudjumper nods to keep the excitable toddlers happy.

"What brings you back, friend. It's been months since you last visited Berk. Is there trouble back at Ice-nest?"

"No, no trouble Tannlaus. I miss Ryder and wanted to pay her a visit, and I thought while I was here, I might pay my favorite hatchlings a visit too." With a leathery 'whoosh' he flaps one great wing, buffeting the hatchlings and sending them scattering with a peel of giggles.

Kari stretches before joining her mate, "It is good to see you. Have you seen Mom yet?"

"Not yet, I only just arrived." Looking over his shoulder, "How many..." The big dragon pauses to think, "boats? Yes, boats... How many boats do the two-legs possess?"

Tannlaus tips his head, "I help about six with fishing, but they have twice that number they haven't used since the end of winter. Why?"

"Maybe it is nothing, but I saw easily three times that many approaching from all sides."

"Stay with the kids! I'll let Dad know. Thank you Cloudjumper. Hopefully this isn't a Berserker raid." With a pump of her wings, Kari quickly rises over the surrounding forest and sails toward the town proper. Glancing out to sea, she can see a veritable armada of ships on the horizon. The first only now reaching the outermost statues. Their flame filled mouths casting orange-red light against the shields lining the bow of the large longboat.

Even with the wind blowing in their favor, the ships are still hours from reaching the harbor. With her wings, the ebon dragoness will take only minutes to cover the distance to the mead hall. The lights from the village surprise Kari, however, as she rounds the highlands north of the village. Lanterns, globes of reds and golds, hang on every building. The last time Kari had seen the town festooned in such array was during the last days of Snoggletog. A massive figure stands just outside the mead hall, directing the villagers. Swooping in, Kari lands giving a couple of villagers a start.

Stoick the Vast turns to his daughter, "Kari! What brings ya' ta' town this time o' night?"

With a very undragonlike shrug, she nods her head towards the lights. Then lets out a distressed yelp, as she nods toward the harbor.

"Aye... Ya' know 'bout that do ya'? After ten years, this is Berk's turn to host the Thing." The moment of excitement in his voice fades, "Can ya' tell yur' friends to hide, or leave the island for the next week or so?"

Kari blinks at her father, scratching in the dirt Home.

"I know this is yur' home too. I'm not askin' ya' to stay away forever." His large hand rests gently on top of her head. "The other tribes donna' know WHY the dragons have stopped attacking. I'm gonna' take 'em to through Helheim's Gate, and show them the devil that was controlling all the dragons."