Reforged Alliances: A Broken Prophecy Story Chapter 7

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cressida Cowell

Chapter 7

Valka was scrubbing her hands for the third time... Glancing over her shoulder, she gives her husband a worried look. "I've seen things, Stoick... Bein' with dragons as long as I was... But I've never seen anythin' like what I saw at the Thorstons..." She shudders at the memory. "It was like the twins... They were melted together... It was like some mad pottery maker decided to mix two different works together..."

"It's alrigh' Val. I have Bucket and Mulch movin' the kids to the dragon pens." He holds his hand up to forestall her. "I never had tha' doors put back, and the iron net tha' used ta' cover it has been removed." Leaning over her, he takes her hands in his and pulls her into his chest. "I'll personally see those kids are taken' care o'."

The pair glance out the window, overlooking the kill ring. Flickering torches feebly lighting the open ring in the distance.

***

"How are you feeling Astrid?" Kari tilts her head trying to judge the new dragon's mood.

"I feel all mixed up... And my voice sounds so weird." Rising slowly, he stumbles awkwardly to the water trough. Even after clearing his throat, his voice holds a young but maturing baritone.

"Take your time... Get used to how everything works. You have Azurestorm to ask if you have any questions, but I found it worked best for me to just not think about it. Your body knows how to move, you just need to trust it. You'll have some odd instincts, pop up now and then, but for me fighting them just made everything harder."

Almost on cue, Azurestorm wanders into the arena with her trio in tow. Seeing the babies, the melancholy look on Astrid's face melts. "Azure?"

Azure rushes forward, "Astrid?" Bobbing her head in greeting. Her former human friend, awkwardly returns the gesture. "I brought the hatchlings. I thought you might want to meet them properly."

Grinning, Kari steps away knowing that one of her friends is beginning to make adjustments.

Gobber was leaving, recently bringing with him fresh water and baskets of fish, as Mulch and Bucket carefully wheeled the new Twin-soul into it's makeshift den. Vomi and Mita had been unusually quiet through the whole ordeal.

"How are Ruff and Tuff?" Kari asks her long necked friend. "They seem healthy, just like everyone else."

"We worry for their minds..." The twinned heads speak in unison. "They were always close... but now they share everything... Body and soul." The big dragon droops, taking up a place nearby, the Twin-soul's heads rest on the cold stone, all four eyes unwavering.

A feminine shout echoes off the stone walls, "Oh common Volcus! Leave me alone, will ya'!"

"I wish I could do more to help."

"Go away! I don't want any fish!"

"We understand. We will be here for them." Vomi looks toward the disturbance, "You might want to see what that is all about, though."

Even in the half light of torches hastily lit, the bright yellow and orange Flametongue that was Snotlout is clearly visible. The older male as been almost glued to her side since she woke up, and Snotlout was obviously at his/her wits end. "Volcus? Can you give me some help?" Kari calls out, feeling a stab of pity for her cousin.

The big dragon rushes to her side, "Yes Kari? You needed my help?" His big yellow eyes quickly dart back to Snotlout before focusing on the Shadewing before him.