second best - ricky bowen

genre: hurt x comfort (pain to love)
warnings: mildly improper language
plot: you're tired of chasing after ricky when all that he does is push you away for nini
(you aren't really friends with ej so he's barely included)
a/n- this chapter is very long
word count- 1370

💔🤎🖤°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。🤍💗❤️

Y/n's POV:

Friday Morning - i woke up and did my daily routine. i chose an outfit, styled my hair, nothing out of the ordinary. once i was done with everything, i grabbed my school bag and went downstairs. i had pancakes and fruit for breakfast. when i finished, i put away my dishes and grabbed my skateboard.
i walked out the door locking it behind me only to see a certain someone skating down the side walk. he seemed to have seen me too since he stopped in front of my house. "good morning" he said with a smile. "hi" i replied back

ricky's POV:

"wanna skate to school together?" i asked y/n as she stepped down her porch and over to me.
"i would love to" she answered with a smile
we skated down the side walk in comfortable silence. school wasn't very far from y/n's house.
y/n and i have been friends since 6th grade and we're juniors now so we're pretty close. she's really kind, smart, funny, pretty, she's basically perfect. but right now, i think i need to focus on the girl i really love, nini.

Y/n's POV:

we finally arrived at school and parted our separate ways, and to our own little friend groups.
i walked up to my locker, only to be met by gina and ashlyn. "we saw you walk in with ricky! ooo! what's that about" gina said nudging me. "did something happen between you two?" ashlyn asked playfully winking. you could feel your cheeks burning up. yes, i did have feelings for ricky, ever since freshman year. but over the summer, all he talked about was nini. all he ever talks about is nini, so i knew i had no chance. ashlyn, gina, nini, carlos, seb, and big red were the only people who knew.

soon enough the day was over and you had invited all your friends to come over
(nini, gina, ashlyn, seb, carlos, ricky, and big red)

we all walked to my house and once we got there we immediately walked out into the guest house. since they had all been there before, they knew their way around. the guest house was next to the pool, there were games and a projector to watch movies.
we decided to watch a movie so everyone sat either on the couch or in a chair.

Ricky's POV:

midway through the movie, nini gets up to get a snack. i decided to get up too, i needed to talk to her. "hey nini" i said kindly "ricky i told you i'm dating ej now." she spat. "no i know, i just wanted to let you know that i'll be waiting here if anything ever goes wrong with you and ej, waiting for you, for us."
"seriously ricky!! you broke my heart and now you want me to just let you in and throw away the fact that i'm scared that you'll break it again!!" nini shouted disrupting the movie. everyone stared at me and nini.
"everything okay over there guys?" big red asked
"yeah.. is everything okay?" i silently said. "just super!" nini retorted sarcastically

Y/n's POV:

"you know? i think i'm gonna go. i should probably meet up with ej." nini said after a long pause
"thank you so much for everything y/n" nini hugged me genuinely, she then walked out.
the movie was paused and ricky just sat there on the floor, in deep thought. carlos turned on the lights and everyone crowded around to comfort ricky.
everyone except me.
i walked away from the group and dialed nini's number. thankfully she picked up. "hey" i said
all the others realized that i wasn't comforting ricky including ricky himself. they were all just kind of waiting for me to join them. "hi" nini responded her voice quivering. "what's wrong? besides the small fight you and ricky just had?" i asked, knowing there was more. "i-i just i don't know. i may still have feelings for ricky. but i'm with ej so don't worry if you still like him. if it works out for you guys, i'm going to be happy for you." she said sweetly "thanks nini! call me if you need me."
"i will, thanks y/n!"

Ricky's POV:

WHAT THE HELL?! Y/N OF ALL PEOPLE!
i need her most right now, and all she can do is ignore me and talk to someone on her phone.
she suddenly hangs up and walks over.
i can't help but feel betrayed. she doesn't even look like she cares.
i can't even believe her right now. it's like she's a completely different person.

Y/n's POV:

i walk over towards the group, they're still looking at me. ricky has a bitter look on his face watching me. what the hell happened now.
"y/n . can i talk to you upstairs for a moment? alone?" ricky asked "sure??" i replied
i walked upstairs with ricky. he walked in to a room and i followed closing the door behind me.
"what the hell?! y/n" ricky spat bitterly speaking with a regular volume.
"excuse me?" i question
"why would you do that?" he asked
"what do you mean ricky?". "I MEAN THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T COMFORT ME OR DO ANYTHING TO HELP ME WHEN IM CLEARLY IN PAIN! I LOOK TO YOU TO MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER FOR ME! YOU HELP ME WHEN NINI CAN'T! YOU'RE THE ONE I LOOK FOR TO HELP ME WHEN I MAKE MISTAKES!" ricky yelled, loud enough for everyone to hear
"DON'T YOU SEE RICKY?!" you yelled back. you were sure that everyone downstairs was quiet and listening to your conversation, but you didn't care. you were broken and in pain. "YOU ALWAYS COME TO ME WHEN NINI CANT HELP YOU! I MEAN NOTHING TO YOU! IM JUST YOUR SIDE PLAN WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS. I REALLY REALLY LIKE YOU RICKY! I HAVE EVER SINCE FRESHMAN YEAR! AND FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS ALL YOU EVER SEEM TO TALK ABOUT IS NINI! OR HOW MUCH YOU LOVE HER OR HOW MUCH YOU WANT HER BACK. ITS KILLING ME RICKY! IMAGINE TRYING TO GET OVER A GUY THAT WILL NEVER LIKE YOU BACK! SO PLEASE RICKY DON'T CALL THIS BULLSHIT ON ME! YOU KNOW WHAT?! IM DONE ! I DON'T WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH THE BOY IM HEAD OVER HEELS FOR IF ALL IM GOING TO BE IS SECOND BEST." i looked up to see that ricky was crying. i soon noticed that i was crying as well.

Ricky's POV:

i thought hard about what y/n had just said. and i realized that all this time, it was y/n who i liked. not nini. soon enough everything flashed back. the only reason i started to like nini was so that i could distract myself from liking y/n. i fell to deep. i forced myself to love nini but i would never have feelings for nini the way i did for y/n.
"y/n" i said calmly. she looked up to meet my eyes
it crushed me to see her cry.
"s-second best? i-is that what you think you are?"
she wiped away her tears. and sat down on the bed.
i sat next to her "i'm-i'm so sorry. i liked you all along. it's just now that i realize how amazing you are. i was just confused, but now i can see clearer."
"you like- me??" she questioned
i chuckled at her response "no i think it's more than that. i think i love you"
"you think? or you know?" she said jokingly
"i know. i just didn't want to ruin what we had"
"i'm sorry" she said
"don't apologize." i paused and hugged her. "and you will never be second best" i whispered

💔the end❤️