what do you want - joshua bassett

genre: fluff
warnings: none
plot: (kota||y/n) and josh have been friends since preschool and they haven't left each other's side since then. their relationship gets rocky when news of joshua going away breaks them both. fortunately, they find a way to make it work out in the end
requested by classykota

**✿❀ ❀✿** **✿❀ ❀✿** **✿❀ 

age 5:

"joshua!! give it back!!" (kota||y/n) screamed as a boy in her class took away her doll. "it's not funny! give it back now!" she demanded chasing after him. (kota||y/n) ran around the yard in search of joshua, but she couldn't seem to find him. she looked behind the slide and found joshua sitting there with a marker in hand, coloring away at the doll's face.

(kota||y/n) burst into tears. in a flash, they were both in the principals office with their moms beside them. "i am so sorry for what joshua did. we are more than happy to replace her doll." joshua's mom apologized "oh no, that won't be necessary. (kota||y/n) has tons of other dolls at home)" her mom replied
"joshua please apologize now." his mom said, anger laced in her voice. "sorry about your doll (kota||y/n)" josh obeyed "that's okay" (kota||y/n) responded, still feeling a bit down.

"how about we go treat (kota||y/n) for ice cream to make it up to her?" joshua's mom asked. it was the least she could do. "i think she would like that" (kota||y/n's) mom responded

they enjoyed their ice cream and made it a tradition. they went for ice cream once a month.

age 13:

joshua knocked on (kota||y/n's) door. no response. all he heard was muffled sobs. "(kota||y/n)?"
still no response. "i have ice cream" he said softly
the door opened to reveal (kota||y/n) in sweatpants and a big hoodie. her face stained with tears. her eyes red and puffy. joshua entered the room and sat on the floor with her. he handed her a spoon and they began to share the ice cream.

"he's a jerk. you don't deserve him" joshua said sweetly patting her back. (kota||y/n) hugged josh and cried into his shoulder

age 17:

"I GOT THE PART!!!" joshua screamed his face lit up and eyes watery
"OH MY GOSH IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! CONGRATS!!" (kota||y/n) squealed jumping.
"there's one thing, the filming doesn't happen here
in california."
"oh?" she responded slightly confused
"it shoots in utah." joshua replied with a melancholy tone. "oh." (kota||y/n) said one last time

age 18:

it's been 6 long months since joshua left her side. they facetimed often and texted everyday, but nothing was the same. joshua talked about his cast members and how much fun he had on the show. he failed to mention what type of relationship there was between him and olivia. (kota||y/n) was still uncertain whether he had a girlfriend now or not.

over the time they had been apart, (kota||y/n) realized how much she truly liked josh. she was always pushing away her feelings for him since he would never feel the way she felt. they were only friends in his eyes and (kota||y/n) told herself that everyday. she thought that her feelings would fade over the time she spent with him, but they only grew stronger each minute. she was head over heals and in too deep.

joshua's filming had come to an end and he was planning on paying a surprise visit to his family and friends. he packed all his bags and headed out the door. he made his way to the airport and boarded his plane. he couldn't be more excited to see everyone again. especially (kota||y/n).

joshua hopped in an uber and headed home. he was so happy to be back in sunny california again.

-
there was a knock on the bassett resident's front door. it was opened to reveal joshua. how they missed him. he spent hours with his family talking, laughing, catching up. it was around 9:00 pm when he decided to head over to (kota||y/n's) house. he said goodbye to his family and drove off to see the girl who lit up his world.
  he was beyond happy and excited when he reached her porch. he rung the doorbell. the ringing sound echoed through the house. he heard the words "i'll get it" from the beautiful, angelic voice he knew so well.

footsteps getting louder as she came closer. suddenly, the door opened. there she was. stunning as always (kota||y/n) leapt with joy at the sight of josh. she jumped into his arms and he spun her around. "i missed you so so much" he whispered. "i missed you more" she responded.

once they were all settled in the living room, (kota||y/n's) parents were talking with josh and asking about his show. he seemed to have fun while shooting. they asked about olivia, found out he didn't have a girlfriend, and finally left the two alone.

they made their way to (kota||y/n's) bedroom and plopped down on her bed. they played music, sang along, and danced. it must have been around 2:00 am when the two finally calmed down. they were listening to slow songs and laying across (kota||y/n's) bed. his feet where her head was, her feet where his.

all of a sudden, josh sat up and pulled (kota||y/n) up too. they were facing each other. "i think i'm falling in love with you." joshua said genuinely out of the blue. "what?!" (kota||y/n) responded
"yeah. i've always liked you. ever since that day on the playground in preschool when i stole your doll, or when i comforted you and brought you ice cream through your first breakup. i thought my feelings for you would fade over the years, but they've only gotten stronger. and i can't help myself. y-you are so special to me, and i don't want to be just 'friends'. i want more, i've always wanted more. so tell me... what do you want?"

after a long pause, (kota||y/n) finally works up the courage to say, "i want to be with you. i feel like that's what i've always wanted."

🌤 the end 🌤

a/n: i hope you enjoyed reading this!! thanks for all the support, and thank you so much kota again for waiting! i love you all!!