the truth - joshua bassett

genre: hurt/comfort
warnings: none
plot: after some time apart, y/n and josh finally see each other again, giving them the opportunity to make things right.

·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙   .·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

y/n's pov:
it's been two years since the breakup.
two years of missing him.
two years of beating myself up for letting him go.
two years of sleepless nights because i lie awake thinking about him.
joshua was a sweet boy. he would always be around to help me feel better. i would always be around for him as well. one day, he got a call. that call was his big break. he would be flown out to utah to start shooting the show. i was happy for him. i pushed him to follow his dreams

flashback
"say it and i won't leave."
"two words."
"just tell me not to go, and i won't."
-
"josh. go."
"i am so proud of you."
"and i was thinking that maybe we should take a break while you're away."
-
"what? w-why?"
the look in his eyes was unbearable.
-
"i just think it's for the best."
and with that, he was gone.
end of flashback

he wanted me to stop him from following his dreams. yes, of course i wanted him to stay. its hard to explain why i did it, but i broke up with him on the day of his departure. it would hurt too much not to see him. to tell him i love him over the phone and not face to face seemed meaningless to me.  we had been together for three years. i loved him with every part of me. i still do.

。。。

joshua never called. he never answered either. he was distant. when he came back to visit his family, he never stopped by. when i went to see him, he was never home.

。。。

now, two years later, i still think about him. i still live in california and i have my own apartment now.
it was a beautiful day so i decided to drive to an outlet. i wore a red, summery dress, white converse, and small hoop earrings. i wore a ring that joshua got me on our one year anniversary. i still wear it whenever i can, it reminds me of him and all the memories we made together. i grabbed my sunglasses, phone, and wallet and headed to my car.

。。。

i drove with the windows down, music playing, and positive energy. today was going to be a good day.  once i got there, i went straight into starbucks to get myself a refresher, it was the first time in years that i wasn't moping about joshua. i walked to the outlet and was content with this happy saturday morning. i walked around looking at clothes and jewelry when a store caught my eye. i went over and looked around. it was a music shop. lights hung around the walls, records and instruments lined the walkways. i took a seat near the guitars and started to play a tune. i loved music and everything about it. i mean who doesn't?

。。。

i was flipping through records and enjoying the vibe of the store. i wandered around not paying attention to what was ahead of me. when i bumped into something hard. i dropped the phone in my hand and went down to pick it up. the person i bumped into bent down to help me. "i'm so sorry. i wasn't paying attention."
the person laughed slightly. "don't worry about it." he said kindly. he was obviously a boy. "that ring.."
"oh this? my-" i started while looking up.

。。。

when i finally stole a glance at the person in front of me the whole world stopped. it was him.  in the flesh. my joshua. my heart skipped two beats as i continued "josh."
"(y/n), how have you been?" he asked while helping me up. "do you want to know the truth or my basic everyday 'good, you?' "
he laughed. i could still sense the hurt in his voice.
"the truth i guess." he responded "well its a long answer." i said
"i have time." he told me sitting down on one of the benches in the store, motioning for me to sit next to him.
"well the truth is, ever since the day i made the stupid decision of letting you go, i've been terrible. i cant stop thinking about you. and about what we could've been. i miss you with every part of me. and its weird that im telling you this, but its the whole truth." i said gushing everything out. pain and regret laced in my voice
"why did you end things with me then?" he asked
"because i didnt want it to hurt being away from you. i mean three years being by your side. it would be torture not to see you for one. i was so used to you being here. i was being selfish. i loved you then. ive never loved anyone but you to this day." i said in response almost at my breaking point.
"well im glad that you still feel the way i feel about you. you have never, for a second, left my mind. and if you want to, i would be honored to be your boyfriend again." he told me with hopeful eyes
i gave him a big hug saying, "i missed this, i missed you, and i would love to be your girlfriend again."

💓the end💓 

a/n: i hope you enjoyed this story. i hope you all are staying safe and staying home during quarantine. i love you all so much!! thank you for 18k reads!