The Invitation And The Dinner

The next morning, Lucille had gotten up early to do some house work before she had to head out for work again

Her mother and father were at work by the time she had woken up and wouldn't be home until dinner time so the house was still and surrounded in silence.

It was times like these, being home alone, where she wished she'd had siblings around her. Being an only child wasn't the most fun thing in the world.

She was cleaning some of the dishes when she noticed a man stood across the road. He was leaning against one of the street light posts, smoking a cigarette and looking up one end of the street and down the other every once in a while.

"Who the fuck is that?" She had whispered to herself, continuing to watch the suspicious man.

After another ten minutes, the man crossed the road and came into Lucille's gate, knocking on the door loudly.

Lucille hesitated to open the door, worried that her actions from the day before with Mr Shelby had gotten her into trouble and this was the man sent out to teach her a lesson.

The door swung open and the man took his time to eye Lucille from head to toe before speaking.

"Mr and Mrs Shelby wish to have dinner with you tonight at their home."

"Which Mr and Mrs Shelby are we speaking of?" She knew that Thomas was married. But, so was Arthur and their deceased brother John.

"Thomas and Lizzie. They would have sent an invitation but Mr Shelby thought sending me would be more inviting."

"Yes because sending someone to eye up my home for half an hour before inviting me for dinner is very inviting, eh?" She tilted her head, sarcasm lacing through every word she spoke.

The man ignored her sarcasm, avoiding eye contact with the small, fiery girl before him.

"Tell Mr and Mrs Shelby that I say thank you for the invitation but I won't be attending."

The man began stuttering, trying to speak but Lucille simply closed the door on him and finished cleaning the rest of the house.

Mr Shelby's assistant informed Thomas of Lucille's answer to his invitation once back at the mansion Thomas, Lizzie and the two kids called home.

"Thank you for your time. You can leave now." Was Thomas' reply.

However, he wasn't taking no for an answer. No woman had ever told Thomas Shelby 'no' before. So, he had his driver pull the car around, sent him home and drove himself down to Small Heath to pay a visit to little miss Scotland.

At work, the pub was busy. The busiest Lucille had seen it in a while, as a matter of fact. Arthur and Tommy weren't due to come by as far as herself and Harry knew and so she got on with her work the same as Harry.