Chapter 23 - A Walk To Remember

Harry

"Did they really just leave us?" Grace said astonished, as she looked at me in disbelief. 

"I think so," I said laughing at bit. To be honest, I don't mind walking her to her hotel, but I didn't expect this. I scratched my head as a shoved my hands in my pockets to warm them up a bit as I looked at the wavy-haired girl in front of me. We were standing there for a moment, both of us unsure of what to say next. 

"Uh, well what hotel are you, uh, staying at?" I asked to get a sense of how far we'd have to walk.

"The London," She spoke as the hot air that left her mouth became visible vapor in front of me. 

"Ahh, well it's not too far. I'll walk you," I said nodding my head in the opposite direction that the car went. The London was actually quite far from the restaurant, but I didn't want to upset Grace. Besides, an extra half hour with her can't hurt. We both started walking, the brisk cold wind just starting to become noticeable. Grace crossed her arms to keep herself warm and sighed aloud. I wonder what she was thinking. Her eyebrows were furrowed, the wrinkles prominent on her forehead. Whatever it was she was thinking about seemed to concern her, but I didn't bother asking. It was silent between us, only being able to hear the sound of Grace's shoes scuffing against the concrete.

"Why did you do it?" The words icy as the winter air around us.

"Do what?"

Grace stopped walking and turned to me, her arms now uncrossed and by her side and her hands curled up into fists. She was staring straight into my eyes, her vision going from left to right leaving a trace across my face.

"Why did you give Simon my songs?" Shaking her head, Grace bit the inside of her lip. She sounded almost... offended? Angry? Why did she feel this way, when just an hour ago she was smiling and thanking me.

"What do you mean? I did it because they were good and wanted to help," I pleaded, hoping she would understand the intentions behind my actions. Graces' vision left mine and went down to the ground and she let out a breath.

"Well, I don't need your help okay." She spat, recrossing her arms and walking away from me. She was walking away from me for helping her get noticed? I ran up to her, seeing as she was already about half a block in front me. 

"Wait a minute," I said as I tugged on her arm to stop her. I wasn't going to let her just walk away from me. I might have been in the wrong before, but this? This isn't wrong. This was my apology, my way to get her to understand. 

"What?"

"You're telling me that you're mad at me for helping you do what you love?" I said, my tone low and confused. I loosened my grip on her arm slightly, and moved a bit closer. I'm not a bad guy, I mean well. There's got to be a way to make her see this. 

"Listen, I know what you think of me and, well I don't need you helping me if you're only doing it because you feel sorry for me," As she spoke her words broke me. Grace's expression softened, the wrinkles disappearing from her forehead, the fists relaxing, and her shoulders dropping. I shook my head, knowing it was about time we talk about what really happened that night, and why I said those things. 

"No Grace, I didn't me-"

"I never deserved the things you said about me Harry! What did I ever to do you, huh? I didn't ask you to take me in. I would have been perfectly fine on the streets. I would have been a lot better off without you," She exploded, causing some people to turn and look at us as she stormed off ahead again.