Chapter 14. The end of Haven

The fight was over and I noticed how everyone slowly returned to calm. Weapons and armour were inspected for damage and the wounds, which fortunately were only small, were treated as best as possible. The Inquisitor made himself a complete picture of her people and then turned to me, wearing a warm smile on her face.

"You are strong, your skills are very useful in battle. We were able to close this crack faster than others before it. You have contributed a lot to this". For some reason pride rose in me when I heard these words. A compliment like this and the one from the Inquisitor was not something you get every day, so I gladly accepted it.

"You too fought extremely well. I admit that I am impressed, but I had not expected anything else from the Inquisition'. She seemed to be happy about this compliment and looked at her group with a proud look.

"So it is. We are all coordinated in our struggle. It's always a good feeling to go into battle with such capable comrades. And if we can close some cracks in the process, then so much the better". Her look made me feel a certain warmth, because there were so many feelings in it at once. I could see how much she trusted her comrades and at the same time worried about each one of them when they were involved in a battle. She could rely on them and knew that her people would protect her at all times, even if they had to give their own lives, and that made her afraid. Not many leaders built such intimacy with their followers and therefore it was something incredibly pure, I found. She was a good leader and that despite the fact that there was so much on her shoulders. She carried the worries and expectations of all. I could only vaguely imagine what she had been through. All the comments, looks, complaints, accusations, insults, doubts and all the suffering. She had had to go through it all and she didn't break down in any way. I had heard about the terrible events in Haven, and yet I couldn't imagine what it must have been like to be in that chaos. 

(quick review of the Haven case)

An elf, who was not yet called Inquisitor at that time, a small band of warriors and magicians. Some craftsmen, alchemists, healers and other workers. Many innocent people, some of whom had either lost family members or were injured in the battles between mages and Templars, were slaughtered that night as if they were worthless vermin. Haven had become a small retreat for many after the breach had suddenly appeared, and since some had lost their homes in the ongoing war between Mages and Templars, Haven had become their new home. But from one to the other, it had been completely destroyed. Nobody would have thought that Corypheus would show up with an army of red Templars and a dragon, and that cost many lives.

 Nobody would have thought that Corypheus would show up with an army of red Templars and a dragon, and that cost many lives

No one expected an attack. Eventually, yes, but not so fast and not so many attackers. This little sanctuary hadn't had a chance, because it didn't even have a real defense. No strong walls and no barricades. Not many fighters and not nearly enough weapons. Even when the troops of Corypheus could be seen from a distance, surely everyone in Haven knew that they had already lost. For most of them, escape was their last hope, but so few made it. Most had been burned alive or cruelly killed by Templars. Others were killed by collapsing houses. However, there would have been a few more if the Inquisitor had not managed to save many from the burning houses. The only thing that really could have done something against the troops were the catapults, but they were almost all destroyed by the Dragon of Corypheus. Now except one, which had seen better days. It had been the last hope of the Elf and that's why she had gone there with a troop.