Chapter 33. A failed party and a mysterious cube

Next to the latest corpse was a door that told us after several shakes that it was locked but with a quick glance to Varric who immediately started to pick the lock, the matter was settled after a very short time. Out of curiosity I counted the seconds it took the dwarf to open the lock and I was very positively impressed when I heard the door open just five seconds later. We entered the next room, which seemed to really impress the others, which was no wonder, since it was really impressive. It was similar in design to the others but the bookshelves that were in it went all the way up to the ceiling, which was really a few meters from the floor.

"Who could read all these books? ". I cleared my throat when she asked me to get her attention.

"Well, I. If you have the time and enjoy reading, it's less than it might seem at the moment". Freya looked at me and then at the bookshelves and then at me again.

"You are certainly right." Despite her words, I could hear very clearly that she was definitely not convinced by what I had just given of myself and for someone who had not lived for centuries, this idea was probably a little questionable. But the thing that attracted more attention than the shelves was the huge staircase leading to the second floor of the property. But the staircase, which was at least four metres wide and sixty steps in height, was also really a beautifully crafted eye-catcher. It surprised me a little bit that we hadn't come across anything that wanted to kill us until now but the others seemed to really enjoy it.

"Well then let's see if we can find something upstairs". I could see the enthusiasm in the dwarf's eyes when I pointed towards the stairs and I could imagine that so many stairs were probably not so easy for these smaller legs. I, however, was just relaxed about going up these stairs, as I often did, because I knew exactly where they were leading to. I took a deep breath, from the air that came towards me, that apart from that everything came towards us something completely different. The smell of ancient writings. I could hear Freya taking a deep breath but without saying anything afterwards. I could imagine how she felt, for most people would not be any different when they saw such a vast collection of old and long forgotten knowledge. Ten huge rows of bookshelves, reaching up to the ceiling, spread out in front of us. Every single row of a shelf was filled with at least fifty old documents and even on the floor there were books scattered here and there as if there was simply not enough room for them.

 Every single row of a shelf was filled with at least fifty old documents and even on the floor there were books scattered here and there as if there was simply not enough room for them

"This is incredible and really impressive". I could understand exactly what she meant and I had seen much bigger libraries than this one.

"It really is". You could clearly hear something similar in my voice, like fascination, even though I had been here so often. It was difficult for me to tear myself away from the many books but we had to go on and this was unavoidable. Our cosy moment was disturbed a short time later anyway, as Freya found the next corpse and only less later the next one. The number of dead bodies increased at a very fast pace, which worried us all a little. While we were moving through the large library I noticed some locked doors that had definitely not been locked before, and that was quite strange, but I wanted to be surprised by what this villa had prepared for us, even if not everyone seemed to be doing so.