Chapter 12

Kylin and I stood outside the Mantis, on the nostalgic planet of Bogano. It was time to make our way to the Vault.

"Let's go retrieve ourselves a holocron," I said, giving her a grin.

She smiled back. "Let us journey onward."

It was obvious the both of us were in good mood. I mean, how could we not be? We were about to go retrieve the holocron. We would change lives.

Making our way back to the Vault was easy now that we had already done it. Well, Kylin hadn't made the full journey, but we still did pretty well.

Now, we were in the large room where I had first learned of Cordova. But there was no holocron.

Kylin looked around before nudging me. "Look at that- glass?" She paused and turned to me, looking for guidance as to what the material was.

"It's definitely odd," I agreed, reaching out to touch it.

Kylin did the same. It would be a lie to say we weren't curious.

I saw myself standing above a group of Younglings, the holocron in my hand.

"Master Kestis," one said, "what is the Force?"

I seemed to be teaching them. "First we will begin with physical preparation."

The scene paused, and I continued onward. Was I seeing the future?

More and more scenes played out. Younglings asking about the Empire. Learning about the Force. Those same Younglings now Padawans.

Until the scenes changed. The Empire had found them. Found us.

Purge troopers were commanding squadrons of Stormtroopers, telling them to take the children.

I ran through this all, too angry and afraid to look at what fate the Force-sensitives were succumbing to.

Trilla had appeared before me. "Bow down to the Empire, and we may spare the youngest."

I found myself, not a vision, doing what Trilla asked. "That's right, on your knees." Suddenly, I found myself in a much different location.

I was on an Imperial ship, or a base somewhere. A Padawan was in a torture chair in a cell.

Not wanting to look at all this anymore, I ran through halls. Past Stormtroopers. Past Padawans and Younglings.

I found myself in a dark room that moved, which I guessed was an elevator.

Pulling my lightsaber out to cast away the darkness, I gasped. It was red.

The elevator chimes and opened and I was faced with large catwalk that ended up stopping at the glass-like window again.

I ran across, as fast I could. I don't know what I was facing, or what this all was, but I didn't like it. At all.

The reflection in the glass was not my normal poncho and jacket. Instead, I donned the clothes of an Imperial Inquisitor.

Rage and confusion flooded my mind. I reached out and smashed the glass.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I was back on Bogano, looking at cracked and splintered glass.

Kylin seemed to be in a daze, but pulled on my arm. "The holocron, Cal, look."

I turned around, and sure enough, the now seemingly infamous holocron was suspended in the air.

Kylin looked up at me with a smile.

We had done it. Maybe that glass had been a challenge. This was the reward.