Chapter Twenty Six - Second Chances

A week after my run in with Jaxson, he texted me to confirm when he could take me out. I hesitated, wondering if I should take Lorelei's advice and cancel. Why did it seem like every time she gave me advice, I would do the opposite? True to form, I told Jaxson he could take me out the following weekend.

Saturday came, and I stood in the front of the spa, enjoying the warmth of the large glass pane window, arranging soaps to pass the time. It was a particularly slow day, with only scattered appointments. I used my free time to wonder if I was ready to start something again with Jaxson. Because there would be no third chance, I had to be sure.

Reaching for lavender spearmint, I brought it to my nose to enjoy the cooling, floral aroma. I loved the natural soaps we carried. The essential oils filled the room, invoking calm and peaceful thinking. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught someone tall walking past the window, I looked over to the door right in time to see him walk in.

"No" I said softly to myself. "No!" anger rose like a flame from my stomach.

"He-" he began.

"No! No, Colson. You can't be here." I interrupted him.

He held out flowers, clearly hoping they would be an olive branch.

"I don't want your flowers, Colson." I pushed the bouquet into his chest, "you need to leave.

He tilted his head, shaking it slowly "Come the hell on, Luna. You've ignored me long enough! You've punished me enough."

"Are you kidding me?" I saw red. I pushed him into the display of towels behind him. A few hit the floor.

"Get. Out." I enunciated through tears.

"Can we just talk?" he asked desperately.

I shook my head no, wiping the tears from my cheeks. He stepped forward, wanting to touch me but I recoiled.

"You need to let me go, Colson. I'm not yours anymore."

He hid his face in his hands. I could hear him stifle a cry beneath them.

"I can't be myself without you," he choked out, he threw his hands exasperated, "I know Luna, I know I am not well."

I shook my head, tears flowing freely. I held my arms against me like a shield.

"Okay, I said that before but I need you now," he begged.

"I tried, Colson!" I started to sob. 

He moved forward and I didn't have the strength to push him back any longer. I fell against his chest and let him pull me in, his arms locked around my shoulders. The familiar scent of his body, the heat of it warming me. I almost for a second forgot that he had broken his promise to slow down on his substance abuse. It was a wonderful second. But reality pushed through like a wrecking ball.

I let out a long breath, trying to calm down. I uncurled myself from his arms, trying to wipe the mascara that was surely now under my eyes.

"You need more than me." I spoke honestly, "You need rehab."

He ran his hand along his jaw, considering my words. But I could see quickly he didn't want to hear them.

"Bet. Alright, Luna. You're right. This is done," he scathed

The words stung anew. He nodded his head as if he was trying to convince himself more than me.

"You won't have to deal with me anymore" he promised, and reached into his pocket removing a joint followed by a lighter.

"Don't you dare," I warned.

He locked his eyes on mine, as he lit the end and took a long drag.