Chapter 13: Do You Hear the People Sing?

((A new chapter as promised! I hope you guys like it! -Wolf))

Chapter 13: Do You Hear the People Sing?

{André's p.o.v.}

The streets were lined with people of all kinds as General Lamarque's funeral procession filed past. Solemn faces and bowed heads were as far as the eye could see.

I stood beside my brother, fiddling with the pin he had given me. It was a circular pin in the colors of the French flag. I pinned it to my jacket with a feeling of pride.

Scattered throughout the crowd were students and revolutionaries who all bore this same pin. It was a symbol of our revolution.

I saw Marius a little ways away and as we made eye-contact, he gave me a reassuring smile. I grinned slightly and nodded. I felt Enjolras' hand on my shoulder and turned to look at him, my hand going to my pistol which was tucked into the inner pocket of my jacket, hidden from sight. He nodded at me, and then, he began something that would change my life forever.

"Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men, it is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! When the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drum, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!"

People began to join in his song, and so did I, a defiant expression on my face as I watched more and more people begin to sing.

Above the crowd, I could see Gavroche perched on the head of the elephant statue a little ways away, several other boys beside him.

The song continued, more voices giving it power. "Will you join in our crusade, who will be strong and stand with me? Beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?"

As we sang this, my brother made eye-contact with Marius, and then he ran out into the street, Combeferre tossing him our red flag. I followed, and soon the rest of the boys joined us, flags in their hands as well, and pistols hanging from their belts. "Then join in the fight, that will give you the right to be free!"

The boys began to climb onto the funeral wagon, driving the king's soldiers back as the song grew louder. "Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men! It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! When the beating of your hearts echoes the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!" By now, the boys had taken the reins of the horses that pulled the funeral wagon, and the king's soldiers were riding off down the street.

Marius stood atop the wagon, my brother beside him. I quickly climbed onto the wagon and pulled myself up to the top until I stood at my brother's side, grinning from ear to ear.

"Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance?"

Courfeyrac climbed up beside us as well, standing on the other side of me. Across the way, I could see Gavroche and the boys still atop the elephant statue, now waving red flags of their own.

"Some will fall and some will live, will you stand up and take your chance? The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France!"

That was when I saw him. Hidden among the faces of the revolutionaries and the people of France in the crowd, I saw the dark, clouded eyes, with their confused, angry look.

Javert was out of his police uniform and in the clothes of a commoner, a black cap adorning his head. I barely had time to consider this though, before Enjolras put his hand on my shoulder and I looked up at him as he sang on.

"Do you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men? It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! When the beating of your hearts echos the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!"