Chapter 36: Consequences

"Thiago, I have to save him no matter what," Skye pleaded.  "Please help me."

            "Don't worry," Thiago reassured.  "You'll manage to save him, but..."

            "But what...?" Skye asked and noticed a change in Thiago's expression.  "Is it me?  Did something happen to me?"

            Thiago remained quiet.

            "Did I," Skye felt his heart drop, "die?"

            Again, Thiago didn't respond.  "I am not allowed to reveal the future." 

Tears welled up in Skye's eyes and he stumbled back a couple steps from slightly losing his balance.  "I'm going to die..."  Skye took in a deep breath and exhaled.  "At least Bowen is going to be okay.  That's the outcome that I wanted."  He nodded as though he wanted to convince himself.  "We just celebrated the New Year.  His birthday is in August.  I still have time to spend with him."  A pale smile appeared on his face.

            Thiago furrowed his brows and sighed inwardly.  I'm not going to let you die.  Unsure of why he was feeling such an attachment, the alien gazed at his human in bewilderment.  I've only been around Skye for a short time.  Why does it feel like I've known him for a long time?

            You were with Skye for almost 8 months in your original transport.  That's why you feel so attached to him.  Since you've been situated on earth for an extended timespan, your memory is also beginning to merge with Yulian's transport.  A figure stood there in his invisible form, undetected by the alien as he watched in delight.  I guess you're becoming more human.

***

            Yulian walked out to the backyard holding two mugs of hot tea and handed one of them to Bowen.  "Here."

"Thanks." Bowen accepted it and cautiously took a sip. 

            Sitting down beside Bowen on the bench, Yulian glanced over at him.  "So, why are you sitting out here by yourself?  Aren't you cold?"

            "I'm just thinking."

            "About what...?" Yulian also took a sip of the hot beverage.

            "I have less than 8 months before my birthday.  I don't want to waste any more time.  I'm going to confess to ge tomorrow.  This way, I can show him how much I love him in the coming months.  Even if I don't make it out of this alive, ge will have wonderful memories of us." Bowen's gaze met Yulian's.  "I'll have no regrets."

            "I won't let anything bad happen to you again." Yulian reached over and gave Bowen a pat on the back.  I'll find a way to save you both.

            Again?  What does Yulian mean by that?  Did something bad happen to me before?

            "It's not like that.  Don't overthink it."  Yulian forced a smile.

            Yulian, you and Thiago are so much alike.  Your attachments to your humans are unbelievable strong.  Unfortunately, both of you have broken the rules.  You're only supposed to give your human a second chance, but you're not allowed to intervene with their decisions.  Every human must figure out how to fix what it is that needs to be fixed, on their own.  The alien shook his head.  I'm surprised that neither of them detected my true form, while I pretended to be a waiter at the restaurant they attended.  I saw Thiago in the waiting area of the restroom and Yulian disguised as a human, eating with the rest of them.  I guess I'm equipped with a higher technology than theirs, since they aren't able to see through my invisibility.  Apologies ahead of time for what I'm about to do.  Rules are rules.  Consequences must be faced.  With a smirk on his face, the young alien snapped his finger.  I will make it up to you when we're back on our planet.  You can come find me after all this is over.  My name is, Zander.