Chapter 7

"You know you had everyone worried," Josh said and Maya smiled.
"I know. Sorry, I must have forgotten to eat or maybe it's because I keep throwing up," Maya said.
"It's okay. You're okay now and that's all that matters," Josh said.
"Yeah, I guess," Maya said.
"Why are you so down?" Josh asked.
"I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor about the dual organ transplant. Because my liver got damaged I have to get both that and my kidney replaced very soon. I'm scared, Josh," Maya said.
"Don't be you'll be just fine," Josh said.
"No, I won't. Two organ transplants are very risky. Just one is already enough of a risk and now I have to get two at the same time," Maya said.
"And you're gonna be fine. With everything going on you'll probably have a lot more energy than most people. We're all here for you," Josh said.
"You mean you because people at school are treating me so differently that Farkle and Smackle didn't even want to come near me today. What if everyone treats me differently?" Maya asked.
"The people who do don't know you well enough. Maybe it's just something which will pass with time," Josh said.
"I hope you're right. Listen you can go if you have to. I'll be fine on my own," Maya said.
"Don't think so. Besides, I don't think I'll be able to go on if I know you're on your own. I'm anyway glad we're here. Riley said you were in a bit of a state this morning," Josh said.
"I freaked out over nothing. I'm not sleeping well at night so it's one hundred percent normal that my lack of sleep affects my emotional state," Maya said.
"I wish I can help you, Maya. I really do. I hate it that you have to go through this," Josh said.
"You're already helping a lot," Maya said and smiled.

She laid her head on Josh's shoulder as he put his arm around her waist.
He threw a blanket over her so she doesn't get cold as he gave her a kiss on the forehead.
Maya closed her eyes as she allowed herself to truly wonder off.