Regret (Daniels x Zussman)

This is requested by @graveswing. Thank you for the request and support in my stories. Here is the story.

Trigger warning!!

Please comment if you feel that you got triggered. So that I would improve my ideas.

*****

Zussman was there on the hospital bed, recovering from his wounds. Bruises and scratches stained some parts of his body. There was a stain inside that was there since the was. His love for his best friend. That struck him with a fact that his buddy was engaged. He could have planned sooner. Sooner scared him.

He waited patiently for his best friend, expecting him to return. He saw a familiar figure from afar. The man was coming to his best friend. All he did was smile at him. It brought warmth all over Zussman.

"Daniels, I didn't expect you to visit me," Zussman said.

Since his buddy had arrived, he wanted to confess his feelings towards Daniels. His brain focusing on every word on what he had to say. His buddy had something to say. So he let him speak.

"No, I wouldn't leave my best friend behind," Daniels said.

That statement melted his heart. He was ready to speak, but was too flustered to do so. It was as if he was in hot chocolate.

"By the way, Hazel and I are getting married. We decided to invite you as my best man," he smiled.

The news struck him like lightning. It was a sudden news. His dialogue felt flying away. He wanted to throw a tantrum. Suddenly, he turned pale.

"When's it," Zussman asked.

"Next week," Daniels answered.

"I'm coming to your wedding," the German said.

Saliva tasted like metal and felt like it was cold. He wanted to cry in regret.

"Thanks, Zuss. Hazel and I needs your support," his buddy smiled, reaching for their handshake.

Zussman didn't have the energy to do anything. He had to because he believed into some kind of hope. He really wished that Daniels could cancel it for this.

"Daniels, I have to tell you something," he stuttered.

"What is it, bud," his best friend.

"Daniels...I love you since the war started. I..."

Cries then trailed off from Zussman's mouth. It tasted so metallic and bitter. Sobs filled the room.

Daniels was hit with realization. He ignored the butterflies guiding him around his buddy. He loved Hazel more...than his best friend.

"I'm sorry, Zuss. I can't...cancel the wedding," Daniels apologized.

"But-"

"I love Hazel more," he interrupted Zussman. "Anyways, see you in the wedding," he said, leaving.

Regret was the common thing between the best friends. It could have been earlier. It could have been...so much regrets.

*****

Sorry, I don't know how to define a sad story. It isn't a typical a good ending though. Still I love it.

Please request something more...

Love, Erma....