16

Caleb knows.

Shaun snapped awake. He looked around, his chest rising and falling dramatically. Then relief washed over him when he saw the darkness and the hint of Brandon's face on the bed across his.

Shaun breathed a sigh. "Close," he mumbled. "That was close."

He saw the door standing ajar, light breaking out from the small slit. Shaun knew that Ryan was up on the rooftop again.

Shaun jumped down and touched down silently, only to feel his left foot flare up. He gritted his teeth and winced in pain.

He saw Giovanni's body shift position. "Go away," he suddenly mumbled. Shaun chuckled to himself. Dreaming, he thought.

Shaun managed to stand up and staggered to the door, grasping the knob. The pain subsided and he relaxed.

He walked out of the room and closed the door silently. Then he took a quick look around before moving to the balcony.

It had been his routine, ever since he realized that Ryan would stay on the rooftop. It was like their secret spot. Because no one was allowed to go to the rooftop.

He climbed the ladder and once he reached the end, he saw him sitting there, whistling to himself. Ryan was shirtless and his back was turned. Shaun realized that he hadn't seen him.

Yet.

He took a deep breath. "Mr. Gonzalez-Arellano," he boomed, trying his best to imitate the voice of their principal. "what are you doing here? Do you know that it is against the school rules?"

Ryan almost jumped. But he turned and saw Shaun grinning. He gave the middle finger and mouthed the words, Fuck you. But he was still smiling and biting his lip at the same time.

Shaun held back his laughter as he walked towards him. "I can't believe you fell for that. My school principal voice is very bad."

"You got me," Ryan seethed. "Don't do that to me ever again, bitch. Got that?"

He raised his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay. I won't."

Ryan reached into his pocket and pulled out something horizontal. Moonlight shone on it, revealing the familiar name.

"You want some Twix?" he asked, extending his hand with the bar.

Shaun's heart skipped a beat. He was giving it to him.

"You could have easily gave that to someone else," Shaun offered. "Like Giovanni or Brandon or your team mates or—"

"Take it."

Shaun reluctantly took it. He inspected the bar. Then he looked at Ryan. "How about you?"

He took out another one. "Phillip was giving away some. And he strictly said one. . ." Ryan smirked. "I snuck back to get another one." He paused. "You know, for the both of us."

For the both of us.

All of it came crashing down to him. It was out of his mind for two days after Caleb's birthday party and sleepover. When they kissed each other twice.

When Ryan indirectly declared his love for Shaun. Or was it even directly?

Shaun ripped open the plastic wrapper and took a bite of Twix. He chewed it, savoring the taste. He'd been so distracted with what's happening that he forgot the little things. Even candy, his childhood passion.

He gulped it down. "It's so good. Thanks."

"No problem," Ryan answered.

In seconds, Shaun already finished the Twix and as soon as the wind came, he let the plastic wrapper go and fly into the air.