Is this how it ends? (Chapter 20)

I couldn’t breathe.

I needed to get the hell out of this school!

The double doors made a thunderous bang as I flung them open and stormed down the steps. My palms were beginning to sting, my nails digging deeper and deeper the more I thought about it.

How could she do this to me!? Here I was thinking that everything was going to be fine. She finally got her memories back, we had made up. It wasn’t supposed to be like this! Was she even going to tell me? Or was she just going to go on lying and pretending nothing happened?

An image of her and Jimmy holding each other popped into my head. Them kissing passionately. Her looking up at him lovingly.

It made me crazy!

She was supposed to be with me! She was my girl, nobody else’s! And then Jimmy came along…Jimmy. That bastard. He knew how I felt about her. And yet he still pursued her. If I see him…I don’t even want to know what I’d do.

“Ben?”

I spun around and my eyes narrowed. Hunter stood a few feet away with me, clutching the bottom of her shirt, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

“What do you want?” I snarled as I turned my back on her.

I heard her take one step towards me. “It’s not what you think” her voice was quiet, quivering sightly.

I scoffed “not what I think? So you and Jimmy weren’t locking lips in the hallway?”

There was an awkward silence before she said “yes…we did.”

My eyes began to water but I blinked them away. I wasn’t going to cry. I had to stay strong.

“I’m so so so sorry, Ben. It wasn’t supposed to happen! I didn’t plan it!”

Is that supposed to make me feel better?!

“But I stopped it!” I glanced at her over my shoulder. “Once I realised what was happening, I stopped.”

I turned my whole body towards her and frowned. “Once you realized what was happening? It took you a whole make-out session to know what was happening!?” My voice began to rise as I got angrier.

She cringed, either because of my tone or my question, I wasn’t sure. Neither of us said anything for a while. There was only silence.

“Did you like it?”

Why the hell would I ask that?! I don’t want to know the answer to that…do I?

She looked slightly surprised when I asked that but she shook her head “no, I didn’t.”

Was that the answer I was expecting? No. How do I feel after hearing that? I honestly don’t know.

“It brought my memories back” she whispered, looking down at her boots.

I frowned and she continued “that kiss with Jimmy…it did something to me. I don’t how it happened but you’re the first thing that popped into my head.”

She finally looked at me and I could see her eyes, shining with tears. She took a step towards me. I wanted to move away, but I couldn’t. It was like some invisible force was keeping me in my place.

“All I could think about was that kiss we shared in the forest. Our first kiss” she smiled gently “you remember?”

Of course I remember! It was the first kiss the two of us shared. Hell, it was my first kiss with a girl for heavens’ sake! I can still remember that kiss like it had happened this morning. Her minty breath fanning across my face; her cheeks turning a vibrant red, like her hair; her light pink lips trembling just before I pressed mine against them. They were so soft, and warm, and-no! Snap out of it Ben! Remember what she did to you!