-7-

Harry pushes through the crowd of guests, and one of for dancers tripped into her, knocking him backwards. Someone grabbed him by the arms before he hit the floor.

"Glad I caught you," Michael said, smiling.

"Michael!" he said, surprised.

Michael lifted Harry back to his feet and the two immediately were drawn into the dance. Michael was an excellent dancer, and Harry was happy to let him guide him around the ballroom, twirling him at just the right moments. He was amazed at how natural it felt.

After that, he and Michael walked and laughed and danced some more. One hour turned into many hours of them talking and enjoying each other's company.

Finally, they took a break and strolled into the rose garden. Michael plucked a rose and placed it in Harry's hair. As he did, he noticed the white streak running down the side of his head. "What's this?"

Harry put his hand to his hair. "I was born with it," he told him. "Although I dreamt I was kissed by a troll."

"I like it," Michael said.

On the balcony, they sat on a bench and Harry taught Michael how to eat a krumkake. "Just bite it. The whole thing!" he said. The pair laughed as the treat crumbled all over Michael's face.

Michael told Harry about his family. "I have twelve older brothers," he said. "Three of them pretended I was invisible . . . for two years."

"That's horrible," Harry said.

"It's what brothers do," he replied with a shrug.

Harry smiled knowingly. "And my brother too," he added. "Ashton and I were really close when we were little. But then one day he just shut me out, and I never knew why."

"I would never shut you out," Michael said, gazing into Harry's eyes.

Harry beamed. "Okay, can I just say something crazy?" he asked.

"I love crazy," Michael said with a wide grin.

"All my life has been a series of doors in my face," he said. "Then suddenly, I bump into you!" Hart explained that he felt like he'd been waiting his whole life to meet him. And Michael agreed. He felt the same way! Harry couldn't believe his good fortune. At last, here was someone who understood him. Someone who was open to new experiences and people, exactly the way he was. Michael was sweet, kind, and fun. They spent the rest of the party together, dancing, laughing, and discussing their pasts—and their futures together, too.

"Can I say something crazy?" Michael asked suddenly. "Will you marry me?"

Harry gasped. "Can I just—ooh. I mean, yes!" He was amazed that he and Michael had found each other. He just knew that they were meant to be.

"Ashton!" Harry called from across the ballroom. He pulled Michael toward his brother. "May I present Prince Michael of the Southern Isles," he said formally.

"Your Majesty," Michael greeted the king with a deep bow.

Harry was beaming. "We would like—"

"—your blessing—" Michael continued.

"—of our marriage—" Harry finished breathlessly.

"Marriage?" Ashton asked. "I'm confused."

"Well, we haven't worked out all the details," Harry said. "We'll need a few days to plan the ceremony. Of course, we'll have soup, roast, and ice cream . . ." Harry turned to Michael. "Would we live here?"

"Here?" Ashton asked.

"Absolutely!" Michael cried.

"What? No." Ashton said.

"And we'll invite all twelve of your brothers to stay here with us, and—" Harry stopped as Ashton put up his hand.

"Wait," he said. "Slow down, Harry, no one's brothers are staying here. No one is getting married."

Harry's mouth dropped open. "Wait, what?"

"I need to talk to you," Ashton said sternly. "Alone."

Harry linked his arm with Michael's. "No," he said. "Whatever you have to say, you can say it in front of us."

Ashton shook his head. "No . . . You can't marry a man you just met."

Standing straighter, Harry spoke up. "You can if it's true love."

"Harry, what do you know about true love?" Ashton replied, scoffing at his brother's naïveté.

"More than you," Harry replied. "All you know is how to shut people out."

Ashton took a deep breath. "You asked for my blessing, but my answer is no. Now, if you'll excuse me," he said, and started to move away.

"Your Majesty," Michael said. "If I may—"

"No, you may not," Ashton snapped. "And I think you should go." He walked off and signaled to one of the guards. "The party is over. It's time to close the gates."

Harry ran after him. "Ashton! No!" He reached for his brother and grabbed his hand. As he tugged at him to stay, Ashton's glove slipped off.

"Give me my glove!" Ashton exclaimed.

Harry held the glove up and away from Ashton. "No, listen to me," he said. "I can't live like this anymore!"

Ashton fought to gain control. "Then leave," he finally said. He saw the hurt on Harry's face. He turned to flee from the room.

"What did I ever do to you?" Harry cried.

"Enough, Harry!" Ashton ordered.

"Why do you shut me out?" Harry asked. "Why do you shut the world out? What are you so afraid of?"

"I said enough!" Ashton shouted, spinning around.

As he did, ice shot from his hand, coating the floor of the ballroom and frothing up into icy plumes.

The music stopped abruptly and everyone turned to stare at Ashton in shock. He stared at his subjects, wishing with all his heart that he could take the magic back.

But it was too late. Sheets of ice covered the dance floor. The Great Hall fell into a chilly silence.

Liam gasped. "Sorcery! I knew there was something going on here."

"Ashton?" Hurry called, but Ashton was already pushing through through doors and racing out the room.