-13-

Harry, Luke, and Sven followed Calum through a maze of icicles, hoping to find Ashton. But it looked as if whoever had built the path did not want visitors. Sharp ice daggers stuck out of the ground everywhere. Luke just missed being jabbed in the chest by one of the thick spikes.

"So how exactly are you planning to stop this weather?" he asked Harry.

"I'm going to talk to my brother," Harry said.

"That's your plan?" Luke replied. "My whole business is riding on you talking to your brother?"

Harry marched forward. "Yep."

"And you're not at all afraid of him?" Luke asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Harry said.

Luke peered at the sharp ice spike lining the path.

"I was just literally thinking the same thing," Calum said. "I bet Ashton's the nicest, gentlest, warmest person ever." He walked right into a icicle that's pierced his torso. His bottom section continued to walk forward into a snow mound. When Calum realized his body was no longer connected, he began to laugh. "Oh, look at that," he said. "I've been impaled."

Harry and Luke didn't respond to Calum. They were too busy staring at a cliff in front of them. They had a hit a dead end.

"What now?" Harry asked.

Luke sighed. "It's too steep," he said. "I've only got one rope, and you don't know how to climb mountains."

Harry put his hands on his hips. "Says who?" he countered, and headed straight for the mountain face.

Luke and Sven watched as Harry struggled to pull himself up the steep slope.

"What are you doing?" Luke asked.

"I'm going to see my brother," Harry said, straining to secure a handhold or a foothold in the ice.

"You're going to kill yourself," Luke observed. "I wouldn't put my foot there."

Harry turned. "You're distracting me!" As soon as he put his foot down, it slipped and he nearly toppled over, Harry paused and took a deep breath. Luke was right. The mountain was too steep to climb, but he didn't want to give up.

"How do you know Ashton even wants to see you?" Luke asked.

"I'm just blocking you out 'cause I've got to concentrate here," he said.

Luke crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm just saying, most people who disappear into the mountains want to be alone."

"Nobody wants to be alone," Harry said, observing him. "Except maybe you."

"I'm not alone," Luke said. "I have friends."

"Oh, right, the love experts," Harry scoffed.

Luke was not amused. "Yes, the love experts!"

Harry turned to face the mountain again and started to climb. "Please tell me I'm almost there," he called over his shoulder. The air seemed thinner to him, and he was growing tired of holding on.

But Harry was only a couple of feet off the ground! Luke sighed and reached into his bag for climbing picks. "Hang on," he said.

"Hey Sven, I'm sure if this is going to solve the problem," Luke called from around the side of a snow boulder. "But I found a staircase that leads exactly where you want it to go."

Relief spread through Harry, and he dropped from his perch on the ice wall, yelling "Catch" to Luke. He fell right into his arms. "Thanks," he said, grinning. "That was like some crazy trust exercise!"

The group formed a circle around a large rock formation and there was Calum, standing next to a shimmering frozen staircase. Looking up, they saw that it led to a huge and elaborate ice palace. Massive pillars of gleaming ice supported the structure, which was covered with a delicate pattern of crystalline snowflakes. Harry and Luke were awestruck.

"Talk about cut, color, and clarity," Luke said, admiring the ice. "I might cry."

"Go ahead, I won't judge," Harry said.

Harry approached the front door and pushed it open. He turned to Luke and Calum and motioned got them to wait outside. He didn't want to risk upsetting Ashton. "The last time I introduced him to a guy, he froze everything," he explained. "Just give me a minute."

As soon as Harry left, Luke and Calum began to count. "One, two, three, four . . ."