Chapter 12

I wake up to talking. I keep my eyes shut and just listen for a while. For a second I thought I was home.

Erick and James are talking about something but I'm still half asleep so I cant make out what their saying.

When I finally open my eyes it's still dark but their is a hint of daylight in the horizon.

I sit up and rub my eyes. Like I do every time I wake up. Its just a habit.

"Good morning princess," I hear a voice say.

I know that it was James I ignore that James just called me princess again because I'm to tired to deal with his stupid remarks.

"What time is it?" I say while in the middle if a yawn.

He looks up at the sky." About five,five-thirty."

Wait what that would mean that I was asleep for two hours!!

"Why didn't you guys wake me up?" I say while I'm yawning again.

Erick turns around,"thats why."

Well he has a good point. If he tried to wake me up I wouldn't have gotten up anyways.

"Do you need me to help?"

"Actually if you want I'm really tired." Erick says.

"Yeah sure, no problem." I say.

I offer the blanket to him but he just shakes his head. I grab the paddle and start to paddle the boat with James not saying one word. This is surprisingly hard.

It is quite for the next couple of minuets before he finally says something,"what happened to your shoulder?"

I look down at my shoulders. My tank-top strap slid down off of my shoulder so you could see my scar.

"Well it's a long story."

"We have about three hours."

Should I tell him this? I just met him. still their was something about him that is just so..trusting.

"Well...when my parents were home they would get drunk and they were very abusive. They would hit Courtney and me. One night they were being....well horrible to Courtney. So well I got in the middle and mother hit me with scissors It broke skin so bad Erick had to take us to the emergency room to get stitches. "

"O MY GOD!! That's unbelievable. Did that always happen?"

"Yeah, pretty much. I got used to it but it scared Courtney for life."

He looks really sad. Why was he so sad for me?

"How do I know you?" I say.

He runs his hand through his hair. How is he rowing with one hand. God he's strong!

"Well that's a funny story. We lived in the same town."

" I don't remember anything. I know Steph is my real mom but I remember growing up with my other family. They never even told me I was adopted. I mean why would they? They were always gone."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"Yes, I just would like to have... I don't know it's stupid" I look down at my shoes.

"Whatever it is trust me it's not stupid."

I sigh,"my whole life I wanted to be..well normal."

"This is a new start. You can be whatever. Do whatever you want."

"Really?"

He nods his head yes. "Wow,so this is what freedom feels like."

He laughs,"just wait till we get to the boat. You haven't even met my sister yet."

My eyes get wide," you have a sister?"

He sighs,"yes, my sisters name is Megan. Well meg. She is one if the most intense people in the world."

I laugh," I like her already."

"Well you have already met her."

"I have?"

"Yeah, actually we grew up together. I thought we like just went through this."

"Why don't I remember this?"

"I don't know but hopefully you remember soon. I was hoping that you would remember everyone."

"I really wish I did. everything doesn't make sense!"

"It will. Trust me."

"For some reason I do." I start,"So,since you know everything about me can I know something about you?"

"Ask away."

I didn't have to think very hard before coming up with a question.

"How did you get that name Hook."

"Well...when we were kids we went fishing. And you got a fish hook stuck in my lip."

"I'm so sorry, but that is really ironic!"

"It's fine, that's why I kept the name."

I star to laugh.This goes on for a very long time. Well until I notice the sun shining in my eyes.

"What time is it?"

"About eight."

"No way I've been doing this for three hours."

"It goes fast doesn't it?"

"So where is the ship?"Then I notice it. I am so blind! It's the biggest ship that I've ever seen.

"You really didn't notice it? We have been going towards it for like an hour."

About thirty minuets or so pass. Hook and I talk about small things about my life. Then we finally get caught up to the ship.

I turn around and wake up Erick.

"Is this it?"I ask James.

"Yep"he says.

I look up at the ship. there is people looking down but there is one person that I recognize.

...........Courtney.