• C H A P T E R 1 •

♥︎  ☔︎ ☽ 𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒆𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝑻𝒐 𝑯𝒊𝒎 | 𝑨𝒂𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒖 𝑨𝑼 - 𝒏𝒙𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒃𝒚𝒛𝒕 ☾ ☔︎  ♥︎

𝙻𝚢𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚘𝚛, 𝙿𝚑𝚘𝚎𝚗𝚒𝚡 𝙳𝚛𝚘𝚙, 2016

Aphmau watched as her mother ticked off item after item in an imaginary list in her head.

"Don't worry, mama! It's only an hour away!" Aphmau couldn't help but adore her mother as she ensured that her precious daughter had everything before she moved out of the guesthouse they lived in.

Her heart skipped a beat at the thought of the owner of the guesthouse. Aaron Lycan. At first she thought he was a gentleman, he had helped them when they were close to living on the streets, he'd given them a roof over their heads and food in their fridge. But Aaron was no gentleman. He had never uttered a pleasant word in her direction. Aphmau thought that he even despised her.

She hadn't known him for that long. It had only been 2 years since she'd met him. At the age of seventeen, of course, she was curious about the kind of man her mother worked for. She had always expected him to be some old man, not the incredibly handsome and mysterious billionaire that had showed up on their porch one night. That was the one and only time that she'd seen a different side to Aaron.

He had helped them vacate their small one-bedroom apartment and given them refuge in his guesthouse.

If her mother hadn't taken care of Aaron's father before he died, she knew that Aaron wouldn't have batted an eyelid in their direction.

She bit her bottom lip and frowned.

She never understood why he'd glare her down, but she knew one thing; those dark eyes caused an unfamiliar heat to rise up in her system. She was glad she'd get to live on campus, glad she'd kept her grades high enough to gain a scholarship— glad she could get away from the man that haunted her dreams.

It was very wrong; he was older, wealthier and so much more attractive than her. In comparison, she was nothing but a shadow. It was that understanding that forced her to accept her future, she promised herself she'd never be with a man as masculine and strong as him. Never put herself in a position where she relied on a man or felt worthless in his company.

No, Aphmau knew that she needed to find someone on her level, someone gentle and kind. Not rude and arrogant.

Breaking out of her wondering thoughts, Aphmau stood up. She grabbed her mother's hands and stopped the older woman's movements.

"What, Aphmau?" Sylvana questioned in a fuss. She was worried about her daughter, fearing the worst of nightmares. She couldn't stand sending her daughter out into the big bad world, and the only reason she did was because she knew that Aaron would always protect Aphmau. Even if her daughter was unaware of the protector in her shadow, Sylvana wasn't. Sometimes she hoped that even after she was gone, Aaron would always protect Aphmau.

Aphmau squeezed her mother's hands and got her attention. "We need to make dinner; Aaron will be home soon." she spoke softly, making sure to keep her tone neutral.

She didn't need her mother to find out about her obsession with Mr. Lycan, that was for sure.

"You know how he is after work."

Aaron was not a man to be messed with after work. He was snappy and blunt, ending his nights at the bottom of a scotch bottle. Not that Aphmau expected any less from someone like Aaron.

Sylvana nodded at her daughter, not wanting to upset the man that was doing so much for them. She felt worthless, Aphmau thought that she'd financed her lives like a normal mother would. But little did Aphmau know, the man she feared most did.