• C H A P T E R 7 •

♥︎  ☔︎ ☽ 𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒆𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝑻𝒐 𝑯𝒊𝒎 | 𝑨𝒂𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒖 𝑨𝑼 - 𝒏𝒙𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒃𝒚𝒛𝒕 ☾ ☔︎  ♥︎

𝙵𝚊𝚕𝚌𝚘𝚗 𝙲𝚕𝚊𝚠, 2019

Aphmau wrung her hands together. She was on edge, to say the least. Looking down at the sparkling band around the fourth digit of her left hand, she suppressed a groan. Biting her lip, she squeezed her eyes shut. Feeling beyond horrible with her prior actions; she hadn't been able to give the man an answer. Something in her stopped her from giving him an answer, something dangerously cowardly.

Ein had slipped the band around her finger, he knew she wouldn't respond right away. He was glad that she was at least thinking about it, he wasn't quite ready for direct rejection.

The ride to the station was quiet, a tension-filled quiet that had Aphmau practically clawing to exit the vehicle the second it stopped. She knew she couldn't lead the man on, but she enjoyed the safety net it provided. It was selfish and outright shameless.

Ein watched as Aphmau anxiously fidgeted. He knew he'd sprung the proposal on her... but he couldn't send her off without staking some kind of claim. He was a man after all and she was beautiful. He couldn't risk someone else whipping her up while they were apart. Ein had never been the possessive type but there was something about Aphmau that had him hooked.

Knowing he sounded crazy obsessive, Ein pulled the bag from the boot of his car. He kept his thoughts to himself and placed a hand on the curve of her waist before she could flee. He couldn't let her go feeling this wound up, he needed to defuse the situation before she really started thinking he's insane.

Praying she wouldn't freak out on him, he squeezed her flesh lightly and nudged her around to face him. The last three years had been good, he just hoped they were enough to keep her. "Three months is too long, dear!" He decided distracting her would be the best solution.

"It'll fly by," she managed to form the words, he could see her pulling back. As the weeks drew closer to the completion of her school year, he felt her draw away. Maybe that's what made him rush. Hell, he'd wanted to accompany her home, but she'd outright refused. Completely shutting down the idea with the sudden words of it being too early. It had been three years. Ein knew nothing good would come from rushing her, so he bit his tongue and agreed reluctantly.

Although, he knew she was keeping something from him; something big.

Aphmau's mind ran a mile a second. She couldn't fully process Ein's words and her responses came out reluctant. God, she had to say no. No to the engagement offer. She wasn't being fair to him. Her lips parted slightly but no words came out. Dammit!

Ein released a breath and leaned down. He quickly pressed his mouth to hers and savored the sensation. He could feel her slipping through his fingers and he hated that he had no control over it. With their lips still touching, he gave it one last shot. "Think about it, Aphmau." From her expression, it was clear that she knew he was referring to the proposal.

Needing to get away, Aphmau just nodded against him. Pulling her bag from his grip, she turned and began walking away, but not before she heard him whisper a silent, "I love you." As if the guilt wasn't already swallowing her whole, now she was drowning in it. Forcing her legs to continue forward, she concentrated on making it onto the train.