17. Gabriel

Rushing around the house, Gabriel was losing his mind trying to make sure everything was ready for Addie to come over for dinner. He felt the need to make sure she was impressed with what she would see when walking through the door.

She hadn't seen what he'd done with the place since the last time she was in the house was the day they met.

The cabin next door that she called home (does this mean he can officially call her the girl next door?) was super comfy and welcoming when he entered earlier in the day.

Making sure she felt just as welcome as he had was important.

Gabriel knew he could be neurotic when it came to designing and style, but when it came to trying to impress someone, it got ten times worse.

He didn't mean to be pushy or controlling, he just wanted to make sure that Addie would want to come back.

If it were up to some of his brothers, the house would go without personal touches, but Gabriel wouldn't have it. It was their first home in four years. Who could blame him for making sure that every corner had a trace of his brothers in some way?

For instance, the pictures of family on the walls. Just because they lost their families didn't mean they shouldn't be remembered.

Gabriel spent days reimagining the painting he had done on the wall of the diner and recreated it in the dining room. North and Luke had been touched beyond belief when they noticed it.

It was important to keep pieces of home with them.

So while Victor, Corey and North were cooking dinner (courtesy of losing the bet), Gabriel bossed everyone around to get things cleaned up in preperation for Addie.

His mind was racing. Do they have wine? Does everyone have appropriate outfits to wear? Shit, what about the table? Was there enough room for all of them?

He felt a hand land on his shoulder heavily. It was Sean. "Calm down. Everything is going to be fine," he said as he smiled lazily. "Especially since I'm not allowed in the kitchen."

"Is this what a panic attack feels like?" Gabe rushed out, hand placed over his chest, bent at an awkward angle to control his breathing. "My heart feels like it's beating out of my fucking chest."

"Just breath," Sean soothed him in a low voice. He patted Gabriel's back lightly. "You're freaking yourself out over nothing."

"Nothing?" Gabriel immediately stood straight and glared. "Over nothing?! Addie's coming over for dinner and you're saying I have no reason to freak out?"

Sean smiled, self-satisfied. His green eyes were bright with mischief. "Looks like I've done my job, you're not panicking any longer."

Gabriel was going to tear him down with some words, but decided to say thanks instead. His brother really did take good care of them.

"You're welcome," Sean smiled brightly. "I love being a doctor who can do doctor things."

Luke walked into the room wearing a decent light blue button up shirt and jeans that rode low on his hips. The shirt was missing several buttons at the top, probably Luke's doing since he knew Gabe wouldn't allow him to have so many unbuttoned.

"Does that mean you want us to get hurt more often?"

Dr. Green blanched. "That's not what I said." He turned towards Gabe, seeking help. "That's not what I meant, either. Right, Gabriel?"

"I don't know, Doc." Gabriel wanted payback. "It seems like that was what you implied."

"This is what I get for helping you?" he questioned, betrayed.