Chapter Twenty-Seven

The cops were everywhere, cleaning up the scene. Reyes was leaving, her ADA following her. "Ugh, just one? Can I get that in writing?" I heard her grumble as Karen, Foggy and I made our way towards her. "Oh, because written agreements suddenly mean something to you?" Karen snapped at her. "You wanted your client in witness protection, right? My offer's still valid for 23 minutes," Reyes countered, checking her watch.

"Grotto's gone," Karen pointed out. "Too bad," Reyes countered before heading for her waiting car. "You used our client for bait!" Karen shouted, rushing after her. "That's a pretty big allegation –" Reyes tried to say as she opened the car door. I slammed it shut. "Allegation?" I growled at her, standing at Karen's side. "Look around! This was a shit show! He could have died," Karen continued, rage clear on her features as she gestured to the clean-up crew.

"Let's be real honest here. No bullshit. You firm is small-time. Our 15 minutes were up after Union Allied. Right now, you are way out of your league. Won't take much to sell that you're the ones that compromised this operation," Reyes threatened. "What?" Foggy snapped, appalled. "Say that story goes public. The story that your incompetence endangered the life of your client, neighborhood civilians, and the brave officers of the NYPD," Reyes continued.

"You're saying that you would blame us for this?" Karen growled, gesturing to the mayhem. "I never said that. Did I say that?" Reyes asked her ADA. "I didn't hear it," he responded. "Stay away from this case," Reyes growled at us, opened her car door once more. I shifted slightly, blocking her from getting into the car.

"You need to figure out what league we're actually playing in, because it's not a game you're going to win. You've been playing for a few months," I paused, making sure our eyes locked and she could see how severe this situation was for her. "I've been in it for years," I hissed at her, keeping my voice low so that only she could hear me. Then I stepped back, letting her get into her car. She did so quickly, the driver speeding off.

"Nothing. Not even a little support?" Karen snapped at Foggy. "All of the legal kung fu in the world wouldn't have won that fight. Her office could bury us. We shouldn't have pushed it," Foggy tried to tell her as I watched Reyes' car turn a corner and disappear from sight. "Well, you didn't push anything," Karen hissed. "I know how these assholes operate. We have to play it their way. Just for now," Foggy tried to assure her.

"But then what next? Matt promised Grotto we would protect him, so did I!" Karen insisted. "I'm gonna call Matt right now. See if he's recuperated enough to help us out," Foggy said, trying to placate her. Karen sighed, brushing some hair behind her ear. "I'm gonna head back to the office. I'm gonna see if I can find a way that Reyes doesn't skin us alive," Karen agreed with a small nod before heading off.

Foggy let out a heavy breath, turning his gaze onto me. "Do you think he's..." Foggy trialed off, unable to ask. I shook my head. "I'm gonna go home and change. He's out there somewhere, probably with that psycho. And I've been itching to give this Punisher a little punishment of my own," I growled. Foggy gave a small nod, concern in his eyes. "Just, be careful. And bring him back," he told me. I nodded before turning and heading off in the direction of my condo.

I searched the city. Every square block. Every building and rooftop. I had my knives strapped to my hip, Matt's abandoned baton in my hand. It had been hours before I heard an explosion a few blocks away. Racing across rooftops, I found myself outside of the Dogs of Hell's club. They were the local biker gang, and someone had just blown up their motorcycles. I watched as they started racing into the building across the street, baseball bats and other weapons in hand. They were shouting and cursing, ready to avenge their beloved motorcycles.

I rushed to the roof, heading down the stairwell. The sound of crowbars and fists being thrown brought me down to the top floor. I burst into the hallway to see that the lights had been destroyed and there were Dogs of Hell lying on the floor, all unconscious. At the other end of the hall was another stairwell. The door was open, more fighting coming from there.