eight || miserable at best

Lux and I load up  my car full with her stuff, a couple days after we signed her onto the lease. 
" Thanks for helping. " She says slamming the truck closed, as it's jammed with boxes of clothes, pictures and books. I get in the drivers side, her in the passenger seat and drive towards our now joining apartment. I hear my phone ringing and notice it's Ashton. I press ignore, scared to risk another life threatening accident. I haven't told him about my room-mate yet, I'm not sure I will until she's settled in. We get there and bring all her heavy boxes upstairs and into her room. 
" You know what sounds good? " she says sighing and flopping down on her bed. 
" What's that?  " I say giggling while petting her cat. 
" Chinese take out!" She tells me. I nod excitingly as she tosses a menu at me, for me to call. I dial the number and order our food. I hang up the phone and see a text from Ashton. 
" Dinner tonight? xx. " 
" Can't tonight, sorry babe. Breakfast tomorrow? " I reply back to him.
Lux throws a pillow at me, breaking my gaze from my phone.
" Who are you textinggg? " She says taking my phone and running away from me.
" No lux! Stop! " I say jumping up to grab it, but my tiny legs are no comparison to hers.
" Ashy? " she asks reading the contact name. " Who's that?"
 " Ashton. " I tell her and she gets down off her tippy toes and hands me my phone with tears in her eyes.
" Ashton what?  " She asks me, sniffling.
" Irwin. " I tell her confused. She walks into her room and shuts the room quietly. I walk over and knock on her door. 
" Lux? " I ask. 
" I'm so sorry, Noel. " She announces. 
" Open the door babe. " I say as she opens it, tears streaming down her face. Her makeup was smeared all about and she was shaking. " What's going on? "
" I'm so sorry. " She repeats sitting down on the floor, crying once again. 
" What ? I don't understand. " I say once again sitting on the floor next to her, and rubbing her back. She doesn't reply, almost like she doesn't trust me with whatever the issue is. 
" Is it Ashton ? " I ask again. She nods, sobbing into her sweatshirt sleeves. " can you please explain?"
" You're going to hate me. " She tells me, as I hear the door bell ring. I get up, and grab my wallet. I open the front door, paying the Chinese delivery man while shutting the door. I grab two forks and walk back into Lux's room. She looks at me and looks back down frowning. I put the bag down and open up a container of orange chicken and a fork and give it to her. She thanks me, sniffling as I grab my box and start to eat. 
" Luke and I dated. " She blurts out. Memories from the first week I met the boys came rushing back like a truck. I don't reply. 
 " and I left him for Ashton, he said he loved me. He said he could keep me safe and happy.. " She says as I feel the jealousy rush through my blood. " And one day, He said that he wanted to be with me forever. And it scared me, and I literally got all of my things and left him. " 
I set down my food and backed away from her, not sure what to feel. 
" And I regret it so much, I've called him so much telling him that I loved him but he never answered me. " she says crying. " and I understand that now. " 
" You hurt him so much. " I tell her, anger taking over me. 
" I know I did, and I regret it all. " 
" Then why did you do it? " 
" Because I was immature, and stupid. I was too young and immature to realize that other people matter besides myself. So I moved back to my parents house for a while, until I got accepted into a fashion district college here. " 
" Do you still? " I ask, hurt by what she was saying. 
" Still what? " 
" Love him? "
No comment. She didn't reply to me, just simply looked down. I stand up, and rush out the front door. I dial Ashtons number. 
" Hey hunny. " He greets me.
" Can you come get me? " I ask him, trying not to let him hear me crying. 
" On my way now. " He tells me.
" Don't hang up please. " I say sniffling. 
" I won't. " he promises me. I hear his car start, as he starts to ask my questions. " Are you crying? " 
" n-, " I start to say no but realize that I can trust him. " Yeah. " 
" Can you tell me about it? " He asks, his voice soothing my nerves a bit. 
" Ashton I can't. " I say tears splotching my cheeks once again. 
" Shh, baby girl. " he tells me. I hear his car pull up as I hang up. he gets out of his car as I walk up to him. He pulls me into a tight hug. I feel the sadness overcome me, and I sob into his shirt. 
" Baby, What's wrong? " he asks stroking my hair comfortingly. 
" I met Lux. " I say as he backs up and looks down at me. 
" Lux? " He asks, " How? " 
I explain to him what happened, through tears. 
" And she's so much better then me, and the exact opposite and I just don't want you to leave me for her. " 
" Noel, I'm not going to leave you. " He reassures me, kissing my forehead. " But I do want to go upstairs and talk to her. " 
" Me too? " I ask him. 
" Of course." I tells me grabbing my hand and walking up to my apartment door. He opens it and I see Lux walk out of her bedroom and look at him very confused. 
" Ashton? " She asks, and sees me come in behind him. " look guys, I just want you to know that I don't want to ruin anything. I didn't mean to find you Noel, and i'll leave if you want me to. "  she tells us. I don't know how to reply, I didn't want her to leave, but I can't help but to feel jealous of her. 
" Look, Noel is a great girl, and I really like her. You left me, and there's no way we will ever be more then friends again. " He says squeezing my hand for reassurance. 
" I have a boyfriend, and i'm extremely sorry for this. " She announces. 
" I don't want you to leave. " I blurt out. They both look at me surprised. 
" I don't want to leave. " She tells me. I walk over and hug her. 
" just promise me, no more secrets " I ask her and she nods. 
" I promise. " 
We let go of our hugs as she walks over to Ashton
" Are we good? " She asks him. I looks over at me and I nod in approval. 
" We're good. " he says smiling. " But what about Luke? " 
" Shit. " I say, forgetting about his past with her too. 
" I'll call him, you two go out on the date you were supposed to have. " she says smiling. Ashton looks over at me, smiling large. 
" Pick you up in an hour? " He asks me and I nod excited as he gives me a quick peck goodbye before walking out the door. 
" Lux. " I say stopping her from walking back into her bedroom. 
" Yeah? " She asks. 
" Can you help me get ready? " I ask her and she looks at me shaking her head yes while running into the bathroom and grabbing a curling iron. 
" Mission accepted. " she says making my giggle.