A Race Against Time

You looked down at Tenma's phone with wide eyes as L/n hung up on you.  You then looked up at Tenma as he rested a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"What did they say?" He asked. You swallowed hard and your grip on the phone tightened.

"They...they're coming here in seven hours with the parts we need. They asked me to stall the court for another three hours, but... I have no idea what they're planning." You admitted, still trying to take in L/n's instructions they gave you. Tenma frowned and looked off to the side as he contemplated his decisions.

"Y/n, I'll attend this trial once more as a witness. Together, we can prove your innocence-"

"No!" You quickly interrupted, making Tenma stop. You then lowered your voice and clutched the hem of your shirt. "I think you're better off staying here. L/n is obviously coming here with a plan in mind. I have a gut feeling you being here is crucial for their plan to work." You voiced your thoughts. Tenma's eyes widened, and he took a step towards you.

"But Y/n, you'll be attending that trial alone! Be reasonable about this." He reasoned. You shook your head and smiled at him.

"I am being reasonable. I may not know a lot about this world, but I know a lot about Dr L/n. He created me for reasons that are so wicked, it's horrifying. That is why I have to go. You have to stay here and wait for L/n." You said with such heart felt feelings in your words, it drove Tenma to the edge. Tenma eyed you with a lace of concern in his gaze.

Having thought about it, Tenma's shoulders relaxed and he breathed out, giving in to your wishes.

"Trust L/n, that is what you were going to say next, right?" He whispered, surprising you. You bit your lip and nodded.

"Y-yeah. Heh heh! Well, the trial is in six hours. I need to go and make some preparations. I'll see you later." You said and waved to Tenma as you left the workshop. Tenma waved back at you, and frowned. He then turned and looked back at Astro as the clock ticked away the seconds until the trial. 'L/n, whatever you are planning, I hope it works.' Tenma admitted silently and clenched his fists.

Back in the bedroom where the rest of the kids slept, you laid down on your bed with your gaze glued to the bunk above you. You had to find a way to access your memories before the trial started. You pressed your lips into a thin line and drummed your fingers along your stomach as you thought hard about this.

"There's got to be some way...." You whispered to yourself. You closed your eyes and hummed to yourself, but no matter how much you tried, your mind kept drawing a blank. You breathed in in frustration and rolled over to your side. Why was it so hard for you to conjure up one single image!? All you had to do was show the court Y/n's death, yet a task as simple as this was so hard to do!

Your chest tightened with all of your pent up frustrations, threatening to burst. You clutched your good arm to your chest and bit down on your lip. You were on the verge of crying, it hurt so much.

As your hand brushed over your chest, you felt your fingertips graze over something cool and metallic. Your eyes widened and you sat up with the name tag resting against your palm. You had totally forgotten about this!

"Hold on, maybe this tag can give me a hint. Y/n L/n..." You trailed off and brushed your thumb over the tag's surface. You then frowned and let the metal tag drop against your chest. "Argh, I'm not feeling anything from this thing!" You wailed and dropped back onto the bed. You then heard a few whispers of complaint from the sleeping kids around you and winced. "S-sorry." You whispered.

Once the kids had fallen back asleep, you settled into the comfy bed and sighed. This wasn't going to get you anywhere. Maybe if you slept on it you could get a few ideas.