- 21 -

✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

WORD COUNT: 1195

✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

"UMM- OKAY!" MIKE said, trying to keep his tone cheerful though his heart just dropped to the pit of his stomach.

"I'll get some hot chocolate first?" He asked, trying to stall. He really had no idea what Will wanted to talk about, but he had a feeling something was about to go very wrong.

Before Will could respond, he jumped out out of his seat and ran to the counter. He ordered the two hot chocolates, his stomach churning the whole time.

Every few seconds he looked over his shoulder at Will, and what he saw didn't make him feel better. Will was looking down at the table, not moving at all. What was happening?? Mike couldn't begin to understand.

A few excruciating minutes later, the drinks were ready. He went back to the table, setting one of the cups in front of Will. The boy didn't show any sign he was aware of it at all.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Mike asked as casually as he could manage, taking a sip of his drink.

"I think... I think we need to take a break." 

The chocolate turned into acid in Mike's throat. He set the cup back down, staring at Will- completely dumbfounded. 

"No. What-no-Why- what-" His words weren't coming out as he wanted them to, but he didn't know what to do. He stared at Will, who's beautiful eyes were glossy with tears.

"I'm really sorry, Mike," Will said, his voice breaking slightly- but although his voice was pained, it was confidant enough. Mike couldn't comprehend.

"N-n- no way-You're not serious-You can't be-You said you- you said you loved me-" Mike blubbered in desperation. He stared at Will, hoping he was misunderstanding things somehow.

"I do! I do love you!" Will called, reaching across the table and grabbing both of Mike's hands. Mike held on to his hands like they were the last  strings holding him up.

"So why are you doing this?" Mike hated that his voice was quivering. He hated that his eyes were stinging.

"I- you- well-" Will was suddenly flustered, and he sighed.

To Mike's grave disappointment, he delicately removed his hands from his. He ran them through his messy hair, and through his confusion Mike couldn't help admiring how beautiful Will really was. The kind of beautiful that was still beautiful now, looking so pained and tired.

"After my mom told you about-" Will swallowed hard, "When she came to talk to me, she told me about that group home she sent Jonathan to. She told me how she thought it could really help me... But I didn't want to... I got mad at her for even offering..." Will paused to wipe a tear that was silently going down his cheek. He looked completely miserable.

"I didn't think I could be helped. I thought as long as long as I could talk to you, it's okay if I never talk to anyone else... But then when I managed to talk to Jane, I realized maybe I do have a chance."

"But- isn't that a good thing? Why are you breaking with me?" Mike cut in, even more confused. Will's tears starting streaming down his face even quicker.