SEVEN

"friendships are like a renewable source of power"

*

At 6:34 on the morning of Gryffindor's first Quidditch match of the season, there was a peaceful serenity in the boy's dormitory for once. Everyone lay peacefully in their beds, treasuring their last few minutes of sleep. Everyone, save one person.

A shrill voice pierced the silence.

"YOU ARE THE DANCING QUEEN, YOUNG AND SWEET, ONLY SEVENTEEN!"

"Shut up," Peter mumbled. He briefly considered turning into a rat and biting him, but then decided that he really didn't want to venture into the bathroom while James was showering. Too many risks.

"DANCING QUEEN, FEEL THE BEAT FROM THE TAMBOURINE! OH YEAH!"

"James, please, we're trying to sleep!"

"YOU CAN DANCE! YOU CAN JIVE!"

Despite his splitting headache and crippling exhaustion, Remus began to hum along.

"HAVING THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE! OOOOOH!"

"How does he sleep through it?" Peter asked Remus in wonder and pointed to Sirius' snoozing form.

"He's a freak of nature. Also, James' singing voice sounds eerily like Sirius' mum."

"SEE THAT GIRL! WATCH THAT SCENE! DIGGIN' THE DANCING QUEEN!"

James finally emerged from the bathroom after finishing his ABBA performance. "Blimey, is he not up yet?"

"It would seem to be so," Remus muttered. "Merlin, James, the only days you get up early you have to wake up the rest of us too."

"Hm." A stag took the place of James Potter. Neither of his friends batted an eyelash at this. The stag trotted over to Sirius' bed, took one look at him, and sat on him.

Even from the girl's dormitory, the bloodcurdling scream could be heard.

"What do you suppose that was?" Eva asked as she painted a red and gold flower on Lily's cheek, hand as steady as ever.

The flower was a tradition that started back in their second year when Eva made the team. The girls always painted for her. After that, the flower became a bigger symbol to them. When Lily received mean letters from her older sister, they painted the flower. When Marlene caught her then-boyfriend with another girl, they painted the flower. When Eva landed herself in the hospital wing after getting into a duel with an older Slytherin, they painted the flower.

Over the years, the gold and red flower became a symbol of unity and support among best friends.

"I don't know. Maybe Marley got scared of a spider."

"I did not!" Marlene yelled from the bathroom.

"We love you, Marlene!" Eva called cheekily, giggling.

"Sure."

Lily smiled as she checked Eva's work in the mirror. "That looks really pretty, Eve."

"Thanks. That's what five years of experience gets you."

Lily stood, brushed her robes off, and grinned. "Seven o'clock! It's time! Get in here!"

"We still have time, Lily!"

"Come on, Marlene!" Lily whined.

Marlene ventured into the room with raised eyebrows, half of her clothes on, a flower on her cheek, and a sarcastic expression on her face.