Chapter 8- What kind of a pair are we?

After hour of going through the jumps, the quadrant finally came to a stop. Making all five of them to fall out of their seats, retching, clutching their stomach. They all took the time to collect their breath.

"I think I'm gonna throw up." Iris groaned.

"What the hell you doing, boy?!" Yondu yelled at Rocket.

"I could tell by how you talked about him... this Ego is bad news. We're here to save Quill." Rocket hissed.

"For what? Huh? For honor?"

"No. I don't care about honor. I wanna save Quill so I can prove I'm better than him! I can hold this over him forever." Iris was shocked, she couldn't believe that he cared more about being superior then safety.

"Rocket! Is that seriously all your care about?" Iris scold. "Do you not care for Peter's safety at all?" Yondu laughs bitterly at Rocket as he pulls himself up to the controls. Rocket and Iris yanks them selves up beside them

"What are you laughing at me for?!" Rocket questioned

  "You can fool yourself and everyone else, but you can't fool me. I know who you are." Yondu replied in a serious tone.

  "You don't know anything about me, loser."

"I know everything about you. I know you play like you're the meanest and the hardest, but actually you're the most scared of all."

"Shut up!"

"I know you steal batteries you don't need, and you push away anyone who's willing to put up with you. Except for her. 'cause just a little bit of love reminds you of how big and empty that hole inside you actually is!" Yondu said, pointing at Iris. He looks towards Iris. "You see girl. Your boyfriend right there is scared of loosing you. He is afraid he gonna leave you cause he thinks he don't deserve you. He think he is a monster and needs to be treated like a monster." Iris's facial quickly went to shock, she looks at Rocket to see him angry and upset.

"I said shut up!" Rocket growled.

"I know them scientists what made you, never gave a rat's ass about you!" Yondu shouted.

"I'm serious, dude!"

"Just like my own damn parents who sold me, their own little baby, into slavery! I know who you are, boy!"

"Enough!" Iris yelled.

"Because your me!" Yondu finishes, ignoring Iris. Yondu and Rocket look at each other like a mirror. Rocket then let out a sigh, taking in Yondu's words

  "What kind of pair are we?" Rocket said.

  "The kind that's about to go fight a planet, I reckon." Yondu responded. Iris look at Yondu in confusion.

"All right, okay! Good..." Rocket paused for what he just heard. "Wait. Fight a what?"

  "Did you say we are gonna fight a planet?" Iris asked.

  "Did I stutter? He is a celestial being. He wants to take Peter's celestial genes. I took Ego's other kids to him but only to find that he has been killing them. That's the reason I kept Quill. I didn't want him to have the same fate." Yondu explained.

  "That's terrible.. How can a father do that to his own kids?"

"I know it's sad to here, but we are gonna save him." Yondu reassured, Iris nodded. Iris felt a sudden tug on her jacket, she turned to see Rocket facing her upset with tears in his eyes. Iris leaned down to his level and wipe the tears of his face.

"Was what Yondu said true?" She asked, Rocket gave her a nod. "Is that also why you have been a dick to everybody?" He gave her another nod.

  "Since the battle in Xandar, When Groot sacrificed himself. I'm am afraid that one day, I'm gonna lose you and everyone else." Rocket muttered.

  "We're not going anywhere. Like I said, we are family. I will never leave you, We will always be by each other's side." Rocket gave her a smile, relieved to here those words. He moves closer to Iris and wrapped his arms around her, while Iris did the same.

  "I love you sweetheart." He said softly.

  "I love you two." They both stare at each others gaze, Rocket leaned closer until his lips pressed Iris's. As they were a few seconds into the kiss Rocket pulled away and back Iris's gaze.

  "As much as I love to continue, we got a asshole to save." Rocket Reminded, Iris gave him a nod. The couple met up with Yondu, Groot, and Kraglin at the controls to get everything ready to fight Ego.

____________________________________

I'm sorry my last couple of chapters have been short, I'm gonna try to make them longer next time. 🥺