22. A Hole in The Group

"But how is it possible! There are only two keys and one of them is with me. The other one is with the cops. How can someone break in here?" William says clutching his head.

When the next morning they came to the Castle, everything was fine. But as soon as they reached the bedroom of King Benjamin, the portrait was turned and the safe was broke.

"I'll talk to the cops," James says and goes out. But not before eyeing at Noah. His expression suggested something along the lines that 'I know you are involved in this.'

"I don't think the robbers have taken anything. The papers are here." Logan says, trying to cover up.

"How would you know? The robbers won't know the worth of the papers here. But safes aren't meant for papers. There must be something valuable here." David says.

"Can you find any fingerprints?" Clive asks.

David starts examining and nods, "No. They seem like professionals. They must have used gloves. But...." He points at the lock, "The lock is still intact. So they must have opened it by force."

"I don't think they were professionals." Dylan says, "They might have worn gloves but looking at the way they used force on this safe, it means they were impatient. They wanted to get their hands on whatever was in there."

"What if they were impatient because someone might catch them?" Logan is trying his hard to cover this up.

"No, that won't be the reason. You see, they knew where to look at." He points at the portrait, "They knew which portrait to move and at which angle, which would bring out a safe. They knew there was something in the safe."

Logan frowns a little. The more Dylan digs into it, the more dangerous it was for him and Noah.

"Let's not waste our time here anymore then. The cops will do their work." Logan sighs. James comes back and everyone looks at him with hope in their eyes. But he nods his head.

"They did not see anything fishy. But they are into examining the lock. They were sure that no one had used their key, so it must be the other one or a duplicate."

"How are you so sure?" David asks.

"Cause they found this here in the bedroom." He hands over a key to William. "It has a little oil on it that indicates it was used to open the Castle."

"This isn't the one I have." William takes out his own key and shows it to them. The key had an intricate design on the top which the duplicate one didn't have.

Noah just looks at Logan with anger in his eyes. Logan had no other choice but keep his head down. Noah was frustrated as a mistake such as this may put everything in danger. Noah's plans, Noah's crown, everything!

"Someone must have made a duplicate. But who would give the original one?" James asks, his eyes still on Noah.

Noah shrugs off James's stares and says, "Let's give it to the cops to investigate. We have something far more important to do." He goes to the safe, "I don't know if there was something here or no, but if there was, we have to be more careful."

"Increase security. I don't trust these cops a single bit." David scoffs. It looks to him like the cops must have slipped the key somewhere and someone might have made a duplicate.

Clive retrieves the papers from inside and gives them to Dylan, "More poems. More work for you Dylan."

Dylan nods taking the papers. He sits down at a faraway place with his notes and pen and starts to decode some there. James goes up to him and whispers, "I think there is a bug in our group."

"I think so too," Dylan whispers back. "You think it is from the crew?"

"I think it is someone close to us," James says and Dylan knew what he meant.

"Stop slandering my brother, will you?" Dylan says irritated and goes back to his notes. James leaves him be. He knew Dylan wouldn't believe him and he had to gather proof.

They continue their search through the room and find more artifacts.

"It's weird that there are so many artifacts here, but the robbers did not even touch them," David exclaims. "Dylan was right. They came for something specific."

"It could be the crown." Clive breaks the silence. Noah looks at him with wide eyes. "It's the King's room; the crown in a safe is the most plausible explanation."

"But they won't be able to sell it without proper documents. In fact, they will be sent to jail." William says.

"Actually, they wouldn't take it to sell," David says.

"There is a story behind the crown," Clive adds. "Let's look around a bit and then we will go back to the palace and discuss it."

Everyone nod in unison.

What is this story of the crown?