24. The Last Thing

"You forgot the last thing," Noah says, pointing at David's notes. David sighs before looking at it.

"Forbidden love. The rumors spread along with the kingdom about a forbidden love blooming in the castle." David closes his book.

"That's it?" Noah challenges.

"Yes. The locals wouldn't talk about it and the museum did not have much interest in it. But they had records from other kingdoms that why was King Walter been kept as a prisoner here. He had his coronation before he was brought to this palace hence he was termed as King." David replies.

"What do you mean by brought? It doesn't seem like he was forced." Logan remarks.

"Walter was the peace bait. His and Benjamin's kingdom wanted to end the destruction so they signed a pact. Benjamin's sister was married to Walter's big brother and Walter was sent here as a 'prisoner'. But he wasn't really kept as a prisoner." James said as everyone was looking at him with strange eyes. "Oh, my grandfather told me all sorts of stories. At first, I thought they were just stories, but after all this, they don't seem like stories anymore." James pouts a little.

"That is a different thing than what I was mentioning though." Noah takes everyone by surprise. "If the locals don't talk, you make them talk."

"I talked to some locals and well they told me some things. The forbidden love was of an 'abnormal kind'. At first, I couldn't understand what they were saying but the hints were all over. It was same-sex love." Noah states as he watches the change in Dylan and James's faces.

Dylan and James look at each other with a strange look. They thought it was a very secret affair. But rumors do fly fast.

"Was that where you went last night, Hyung?" Dylan gives him a questioning look.

Noah is surprised but composed himself. He had to lie in a believable manner.

"Uh yeah, yeah...I couldn't sleep so went for a a....walk." Noah thinks before speaking.

"What really?" It was William now. He got worried. "Noah, you know it isn't safe for us to be out at night so late. You don't know much about the roads here."

"It wasn't much baby. I just wanted to have a drink at the pub so...." But Noah was interrupted by James.

"But the nearest pub here is at least 7 miles from here. You walked so much?" James gives him a smug look, "And the last I heard that pub was being renovated."

"Walking in the night breeze was so good that I didn't feel that I had covered 7 miles." Noah hisses at him. "And the pub has finished renovating. Why is this becoming 'Question Noah' day?" he looks at everyone.

"No no, James didn't mean that. He was just stating facts. And we were just worried that you would get lost here. It is in fact a dangerous place. Lots of mugging reports and robbers." Dylan clarifies.

"Well well, let's get back to the real information here, shall we?" Logan asks, "Did they mention who were the people?" he reverts his question to Noah.

"They were speculating it was between the prisoner and someone," Noah says.

"Prisoner!' Logan exclaims and turns to James who already got flustered, "Which means King Walter. Did your grandfather tell you anything about this?"

"Uh...no...he never mentioned such a thing," James says in a weak voice. Dylan could see how difficult it was for James to lie so he had to rescue him.

"Are you sure?" Noah corners James.

"He is sure Hyung. You won't find anything that you are looking for from James." Dylan comes to his rescue. "But why are you so caught up to this single detail? Is there something that you know?" Dylan challenges him with a hint of suspicion in his eyes.

"No...I am just...stating some obvious facts..." Noah starts but he could see everyone giving him questioning looks. Even William.

The room was filled with this unforeseen tension and Clive could feel it. He had to step in.

"Okay guys, let's not fight on something that isn't even ours. We are here for research and let us continue that." Clive says pushing Dylan a little behind. He had come in front of James, acting as a shield towards Noah's harsh words.

"Let's end this for today. The research was quite meaningful. Thanks, David and Noah, it will be very helpful." William says as he goes to his room. Noah says he will come later and goes to the outer part of the house.

Logan follows without anyone seeing him and startles him.

"I told you we have to get rid of James. Even Dylan has started suspecting you." Logan says.

"I know." Noah replies enjoying the light night breeze, "I have a plan to regain everyone's trust but James is a problem. I have to find something for him and that has to be soon."

Noah takes out his phone and makes a call.

"Make the call tonight. And remember to give him the letter." And cuts the call.

Logan looks at him with a confused expression but Noah assures him.

"You will see it tomorrow. And the plan for Dylan and everyone to trust me again. You have a major part to play in it." He points at Logan.