Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, Take Your Parents For Example

Chapter 25: Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, Take Your Parents For Example

Obi POV

I've been trying to talk to Imrei for over a week now, ever since she halfway found out about the false marriage. I don't even know where she's been sleeping. I've asked everyone in the help quarters and have searched the grounds and everywhere I can think of for her, but it's like she disappears. Trying to trap her with Mitsuhide was stupid and it only made it worse. Imrei says she's leaving the castle. I don't want her to leave without me at least being able to explain to her what really happened. If she still hates me and still wants to leave, then I'll be okay with that. I'm not going to stop her from doing what she wants to do no matter what happens to me.

After leaving us behind, she's disappeared again. I haven't been able to find her again and it's already night time. Tonight I'm not stopping until I find her. I move through the grounds, following a tip from one of the maids who said she had seen her near the medical buildings earlier. Maybe she will be there still. I walk around the buildings before opening the door to the main part. The room is dark with the exception of a slight glow coming from under Garak's desk. I arch a brow and move silently through the room over to the desk. My hand is ready to draw a weapon if needed but I don't want to pull one and startle someone if it's one of the herbalists or Imrei.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask with a sigh as I lean back against the wall behind Garak's desk.

Imrei is curled up beneath it on a small blanket with a pillow behind her and a book in her lap. She jumps slightly as her eyes lift to mine. Her gaze instantly hardens and she looks away with a huff and tells me to go away. I shake my head and repeat my question.

"I'm trying to read a book. I thought that was quite obvious."

"Have you been sleeping in here this whole time?"

She tenses and it answers my question before she even opens her mouth. "I don't see how that's any of your business. Now go away."

"Imrei, please can I talk to you? If you still hate me afterward I'll be okay with that, but I don't want you to leave without knowing the truth. Please?"

"What truth is there to tell Obi? You and Mitsuhide betrayed me and lied to my face!" She snaps, abandoning her book as she gets to her feet.

"I'll tell you the truth if you're willing to listen to me, please. Just take a walk with me and listen, then if you still want to hate me and leave then I'll leave you alone."

I find myself walking the grounds with a reluctant Imrei. I don't know how I managed to get her to agree to come with me but now that she's here, I don't have the courage to speak. If I don't say something soon though, she's going to give up and leave.

"Imrei- I... I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I didn't know about it in the beginning though, I swear. I didn't know until the day you yelled at us in the ballroom. Mitsuhide let it slip. He and Master set the whole thing up."

"So... Three days? You supposedly knew for three days and never said a word to me?" She looks up at me with a simmering fire in her eyes.

"I was being selfish and I know that. I should have told you as soon as I found out but I didn't because I knew as soon as I did you'd leave me and I didn't want you to..."

"And why is that?"

I bite my lip and run a hand through my hair as I avoid her gaze. "I- well, I-I because I'm..."

"You're what, Obi? And wait... Why would Master Zen and Mitsuhide want to force us into a pretend marriage? None of this makes any sense. You're lying to me still aren't you?"

I lightly take her hand as she tries to walk away and gently tug her back to me.

"I'm not lying to you Imrei. I don't know their true motivation but Mitsuhide told me everything. Master had this started back when he assigned me to you. Mitsuhide said that he put me with you for more than protection purposes. They waited until we got drunk that night and he carried us to our rooms with the rings on and Master wrote up the paper and crafted the story. He wouldn't annul it since it would go against his plans. I didn't tell you when I found out because I love you... I've been in love with you since day one. I hate that I said that about you when I kissed you. I-I was at a really dark time in my life and I was drinking so much... so much that everything was a constant blur... I was convinced that you only kissed me because you felt bad for me because there's no way someone as absolutely beautiful as you would ever want anything to do with someone like me..."

Imrei didn't say anything to me after I confessed to her. She couldn't even look at me. I stood there frozen, mentally kicking myself for rambling out that I was in love with her until she gently pulled her hand from my grip and walked away. I let her. If she ever wants to talk to me, she knows where I'll be. If she leaves and I never hear from her again, I'll hate it every day for the rest of my life but at least she left while I had a clear conscience. I wanted her to know the truth and now she knows everything. It's up to her to decide what to do with the information. I sigh and let myself slowly hit the ground then stare up at the moon hanging high in the sky.

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst..."