Chapter 15

A scab began to form on my lip after a couple of days of healing. It was hard to tell if my lip was actually still painful to touch or if it was just the lingering memory that brought me the vague feeling of pain surging through my body.

I returned to work with the utmost confidence. Tightening my hat atop my head with the determination of serving each customer to the best of my ability. I wasn't going to let any of my past get in the way of me doing my job. I needed to start fresh. Look into the future and nothing more. Well, that was the plan until I walked into the cafe and the heads of every customer turned towards me. Hushed giggles and mumbles filled the air. Holden sat at a small table by the window along with a few other men. They saw me and snickered to each other. I sucked in a breath and marched over to the counter, ignoring them so I could begin my daily work routine of clocking in and grabbing my apron.

Natalie stood outside her office door, watching everyone while chewing on her bottom lip with a furrowed brow. Her hands at the ends of her slender arms clenched and relaxed over and over. As I approached her, she never broke her gaze that was fixated on Holden's table.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She broke her gaze. But, only for a second. Her eyes shot back over to their table and she released her lip from the grasp of her teeth.

"Is it true?" She asked, voice hushed and filled with worry as she stumbled to get out her words. I licked my scabbed lip with a shaking tongue. Did people know what Holden did to me in his car? But, why would he want people to know that he forced himself on me?

"I don't follow."

Natalie huffed, "did you have sex with Holden Perez?"

"What!" I scoffed, shooting my glare in Holden's direction He sat at his table with a sly grin as if he knew we were talking about him and he was reigning in the glory of his latest conquest, which, in fact, did not fucking exist. "He's telling people we had sex?"

She nodded. "And he said it was pretty bad. But you begged for it and wouldn't take no for an answer." I was the one chewing on my lip, then, ignoring the blood that was seeping from the freshly opened scab into my dry mouth.

"Fucking Holden," I said under my breath. A disappointed smile grew on my face. "It's not true..." I said to Natalie. She let out a sigh of relief.

"Well, well, I'm surprised Ellis Banks's daughter is even showing her face right now." I turned to face a perfectly tied blonde top knot and pink plump lips. Kristen stood at the counter with a devilish grin. She twirled a piece of loose hair that hung by her ear.

"Can I help you with something? Or are you just going to waste my time?" I leaned against the counter so our faces were close. So close that I was able to smell the strawberry lip gloss that covered her stupidly perfect lips.

"I just came here to let you know that since you're out as this big slut and all to stay away from Ryland. Kay? He's mine." Her eyes darted down to my lips and she let out a hearty laugh and snort. "Gross!" She flicked at the open sore which set me swirling into a fiery pit of hate and all I wanted to do at that moment was rip her bun from her head. I chewed on the inside of my cheek and turned on my heels. She wasn't worth any more of my time.

A loud screech echoed through the cafe. I spun around and saw Kristen drenched in a red liquid and Ashley standing next to her with an empty pitcher and a fake apologetic smile.

"Oops." Ashley shrugged. Kristen's eyes darted between the two of us before shaking off her arms and marching out, trying to keep the rest of her dignity intact. Once the door closed behind her, Ashley and I burst out in hysterics. Maybe Ashley wasn't as bad as I thought. She was a good ally to have in this town when it was very clear, I didn't have anyone else.