1. Deja vu

(dedicated to @tale_gunner for the valuable inputs!)

Elijah now felt more than just annoyed.

He had greeted, and fake smiled at least two dozen nobles. It was getting harder and harder not to walk away from the theatrical gathering. His twin sister, Meredith, beside him seemed much more poised, and he couldn't for the life of him understand how his father had done this similar tedious procedure multiple times before. But then, of course, his father, Augustus, didn't have much of a choice except to do so anyway. The king of Evimeria, despite his infallible powers, never seemed to have much control. 

Quite sadly an amusing irony, he thought.

He gazed around the exquisitely decorated hall. The golden and white shimmering streamers were hanging from the high ceiling, courtesy of his mother who had spent weeks to plan this day. It was strange how suffocated he felt in the room that was as massive as the mythical Sentinel Sognare. The abode of the Vartiyahs. The protectors of Obscura.

The entire hall was a conundrum of colours. Nobles donning exquisite clothes in every hue of the rainbow. Soft, mesmerizing music played in the background. The bright lights in the hall reflected off each polished surface until it felt like the room was lit by the sun itself. The smell of cuisine of each country wafted to his nose as waiters milled about.

Elijah glanced moodily at the shiny marble flooring, distracted as he watched the light from the ornate chandeliers above reflect off it. He gazed at the several large doors each crafted with exquisite wooden intricacies. A dozen doors on either side of the hall and yet none were open for him.

After a few more minutes of greeting people that they barely knew, his grandfather strode over to them. He and Meredith spoke in a united monotone. "Good evening, granddad."

He nodded at them, his grey eyes twinkling. "You both should go and sit there." He gestured towards an empty table near them. "The ceremony will begin shortly."

Relieved, Elijah and Meredith made their way to the table where he almost wanted to collapse but knew it wouldn't reflect too well on his stature as the eldest heir. Meredith leaned backwards on the chair and sighed, "I think that was the dullest one hour of my life." 

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath and took a long sip of the glass of clear liquid in front of her. In spite of how much she complained to him, her royal facade was remarkably immaculate. She looked like a vision in an off-white dress with intricate floral lace designs. A number of royals had tried to vie for her affection tonight as well. Unsuccessfully, much to Elijah's relief lest he was left to endure the gathering on his own. 

Elijah nodded. "Seems like a punishment." He halted a servant walking from behind him and took a glass of a dark red liquid, sipping slowly and regretting tasting the vile liquid immediately. The strong earthy flavour that seemed to reach his very skull left no doubt that the Wine was from the vineyards of Wysterdam, a highly over-hyped city for the ostentatious in his opinion. In order to protect his dignity however, he drank it with an impassive face and congratulated himself silently.