38. Asterius

Water.

I could still feel the dreadful water closing in on me.

 Burying me.

 Strangling me.

I picked up speed as I made my way to the exit gates, my heart hammering. I wasn't planning, wasn't thinking. I just knew that I needed to away from there.  I remembered the tiger stone flashing, just before I was pulled into the depths of darkness. I could still feel the suffocating arms of water around me, could still see flashes as my body gave way.

I ran till I reached the exit, my heart hammering at the excursion. I started walking as fast as I could from there, needing to get away. I had no way of contacting anyone, so I decided to walk. The tornado of thoughts in my head was stifling me. It was the third direct attempt at eliminating me. And this time, I had seen his face, and all things clicked into place. The fiend's attack at Arvinna. The assassination attempt. The almost successful attempt at the pool.

I shuddered to think what would have happened if Aahan hadn't walked in at the last moment. What I failed to understand was why?

Why was Elijah so desperate to get rid of me? It made no sense to me. I was not an heir. Not a competitor to him. I was nothing but a controversial bastard. Had I not been a Nuvue, I would have never made it to Obscura.

I walked along for a long while, the forests on either side of me fading into the background. I saw a tourist bus moving ahead and ran to catch up to it.

Thankfully, it stopped a few feet away to let a woman down, and I climbed on board. The driver looked at me once, his eyes widening slightly as he took in my drenched clothes and matted hair.

The bus was mercifully scarcely populated, and I was able to get a seat at the very back of it. The conductor walked over to me with a sheaf of paper chits in his hand. "Stop?"

"Where's this bus heading?" I asked.

The conductor looked at me suspiciously before he spoke. "Ophelia. We will be passing through Myrion, Zelen, Lyros, Neronz, Pickett, and Ophelia. That's the last stop."

He sounded increasingly impatient as he named each town.

"Neronz," I said without thinking as he gazed at me still more suspiciously and handed me a chit with the amount of Elrins and the name of the place.

"You sure fledgeling?" he cocked his head, a smirk on his face. "Doesn't look like a place you should be heading to."

A blush crept up my face, and I took the chit from him, gazing out of the window defiantly. He didn't say anything and sauntered away.

I sighed and gazed at the disappearing trees and quaint town of Myrion as it came into view. We passed through a small village square. Schools were just letting out children as they thronged the streets and market. Gaggles of laughter and the din of vehicles and people all merged together into a cacophony. I was jealous. Envious that I had just been almost murdered again by my half brother, and that the world didn't seem to care.

My teeth were still chattering. I shut my eyes as I felt the icy water again. I was still shivering.

I rested my forehead against the glass and closed my eyes. Concentrating on finding the warmth inside my chest. Starlight, however, seemed to have abandoned me again.