21. Fracture

Elijah's world was spinning out of control

Icy shards clawed his insides as the excruciating image of Megan's lips on Hector's came flooding back to him. His chest felt hollow. Empty. Like something had ripped him open.

He took a deep breath. He had to separate his feelings from his duty. And right now, his mission was to walk into the field and take the brunt of the disaster he had caused. 

Fire coursed through his veins as he saw Hector standing with the rest of the team, waiting to go onto the field. His eyes fell on Elijah, impassively. Elijah tore his eyes away from his hateful face, feeling the devastating monster of fury, fighting his rationality for control. He hated that he had broken down in front of Meredith. Hated that he had once again become vulnerable to his emotions. They were a weakness, just like Andreas had said.

The whistle sounded, and he mounted his magnificent black steed and walked into the field to a raucous uproar. It seemed that in spite of everything, Asteria hadn't yet lost hope. He solidified his resolve.

Four goals. Fifteen minutes.

He glanced at the clock as the game began, a vague plan forming in his mind. A true leader doesn't give up even after apparent defeat.

He gestured to Aris, pointing at him and then at the net. Aris' eyes widened in realization. They were to go offensive. The defence and playmakers moved into position as Aris, and Isaiah took the rear. They were creating a strong case.

Elijah took a deep breath as Maddison beautifully intercepted the ball from one of the opponents and drove it to Justin, who deftly sent it to Elijah. He stopped his horse, studying the formation in front of him. 

He was surrounded by enemies, but the weak spot was the burly guy. He depended on his presence for creating an impact. He wasn't agile or fast enough for Elijah. Elijah kicked his heel into the horse as he reared and started flying through the ground and towards the opponent. The breakneck speed made it difficult to control the ball, and he passed it quickly to his right. His blood froze as he realized that it was Hector.

He felt the destructive surge of anger but pulled himself away from the whirlwind of emotions as he reached the net. Hector slipped the ball to Justin, who carried it over till they were only being stopped by the tapering defence. 

"Break!" Elijah yelled as the three horses on his team started trotting in a seemingly random fashion. Elijah picked the ball expertly from Justin and shot it cleanly into the net, scoring a deft goal as a bewildered keeper turned around and let out a yell of frustration. The crowd erupted in cheers as Justin flashed him a smile. But there was a long way to go.

They switched tactics, leaving the defence empty as the entire Skyline marched with alarming speed towards the suddenly overwhelmed opponents. It was a massive risk, but they had nothing to lose. Aris and Isaiah coordinated to smash in another goal. Leaving seven minutes to score another two.