9. Asteria

dedicated to Archdav Archdemon Dave Platypus of all the Platypuses with demons for Jigsaw who told me to progress in life I must get my spacing right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That evening, after hastily packing my scarce belongings, I stood near the palace gates

That evening, after hastily packing my scarce belongings, I stood near the palace gates. I gazed at the black grilles, oddly reminiscent of a prison. It felt strangely foreboding, as if they were used to holding captives.

I sighed, thankful that at least the night wasn't cold enough yet for my breath to turn into fog. I gazed around my dark surroundings and gently massaged my throbbing temple. Despite the fact that my wound had completely healed, the blood loss had left me slightly weakened, hence the headache I assumed.

It was almost midnight, and the guards seemed to be studying me intently. So much so that it made my skin crawl in uneasiness. I glanced at my watch, its glass so broken that it was difficult to tell the time. But I refused to dispose of it out of sheer sentiment. It was the first thing my dad ever gave me. Back when I reached Evimeria for the first time. I had changed the band multiple times before, but the dial remained the same.

In a strange way, perhaps pathetic even, I felt like the dial was the part of my legacy that I wasn't quite allowed to flaunt. 

Hunt. I couldn't use 'Ellerman.' To maintain the difference between the royals and lowly bastard. But then again, I knew my prefix to the regal name would only deteriorate its grandiosity.

I eyed the guards silently, shivering inconspicuously at the ominous air radiating off them. They wore the matte black armour and uniform with the golden chain on their breast pocket, the standard uniform of the King's guard. Designed to let the shadows engulf them, to amplify stealth and obscurity. 

It was a clear night. Stars twinkled gaily above. I glanced upwards, watching the breathtaking celestial enigmas for a while. Through the chaos that my life had been, the stars had remained my constant companion. Even while on Earth, I would spend hours lying on my back and gazing upwards at the shimmering orbs suspended in the unyielding raven. Their infallible presence had oddly comforted me. How they remained invincibly anchored in the infinite distance, even as my own life was uprooted multiple times. A cruelly beautiful contrast. 

A seemingly vagabond chill coursed through my spine. The soreness from earlier however, had thankfully disappeared. Though I still shuddered whenever I pictured the Zverya. Its bloodshot eyes, matted fur, beastly growl and dagger-like teeth. 

After a while, a sleek, black car rolled over in front of me, and the door opened. Aidan glanced at me and gave half a smile. "Get in, Hunt."

Inadvertently, I wondered if anyone at Asteria would know that my father was Augustus Ellerman. Maybe in a way it was better that they didn't know my true identity.