12. Height

Ezekiel gulped as he saw the shards of glass that was all that remained of Geoffrey's glass bottles. The ball he had been playing with lay scattered among the remains, having knocked off a large number of bottles to the ground. The putrid smell of alcohol penetrated his nostrils, making him feel dizzy. Terror clenched his heart as his breathing became fast and shallow.

"What the fuck is this?"

Ezekiel looked up from the disaster at his feet to the towering, menacing figure of Geoffrey standing near the gate. His heart lurched painfully. Geoffrey's shadow was framed against the door. His eyes were bloodshot, his sparse hair haywire. "Did you do this, you little piece of shit?"

Ezekiel trembled and took a step backwards. "No..." he whimpered, cowering as the fiend walked closer to him, his feet stepping over the glass shards as ice coursed through his veins at the menacing crunch.

"You filthy liar!"

Ezekiel let out a piercing scream as Geoffrey pulled him by his collar. He started pulling him away, his feet dragging over the shards of glass as pain shot through him. He screamed and yelled to release himself out of the devil's claws, but his little body was no match against Geoffrey's.

His blood turned to ice as he was pulled up the staircase. His heart hammered as he clawed and punched the air, trying with all his might to escape, his frail limbs flailed helplessly. His vision took in the cracked walls and squalor of the dingy apartment with increasing panic, his body almost numb already, anticipating agony. 

"You fucking good for nothing bastard! Today you'll pay," Geoffrey declared menacingly. His words were dripping with hate. "You and your whore of a mother. Fucking ungrateful pair of mongrels." 

Ezekiel's strength faded as he screamed and cried. His frantic sobs turned to shuddering gasps as Geoffrey finally stopped, opening the metal door to the roof with a tremendous clang. Ezekiel's heart froze in terror as he realized what was about to happen. "No! Please!" he pleaded, his body sore from being dragged up the staircase. 

"It's no more than what you deserve," Geoffrey spat as he dragged him across the rough ground and near the edge of the roof. Ezekiel let out a terrified scream as Geoffrey roughly held him under his armpits and lifted his weakened body up so he found himself suspended in the air. Somewhere in his heart, he knew that perhaps Geoffrey was right. It was what he deserved. In a terribly masochistic way, he often thought he deserved worse. 

But Geoffrey was never kind enough for it to just be the end. 

He swung him once as Ezekiel let out a blood-curdling scream, his heart fluttering painfully. But Geoffrey didn't let him go. "Yes. Scream like that you pathetic vermin," his words dripped with mirth. He swung him over the edge again as Ezekiel screamed louder still. "Scream harder. Like that night. Plead." 

Ezekiel screamed as if on command, his throat felt like it was bleeding. He could almost feel the blood at the end of his windpipe, the paralyzing fear penetrating his bones and he shut his eyes hoping it would all go away. He opened them again with a terrifying shriek when he was swung again. He could see the hard concrete far below him.

"You're becoming boring, Eejay," 
Geoffrey drawled, his voice laced with venom. "It's the only way to spice things up." 

He swung him hard, and to his horror, he felt Geoffrey's hateful hands lose contact with him as he plummeted downwards.

 Screaming and screaming and screaming till all was silent.