32. Of Pasts and Prophecies

Aris joined the three of us in the library later that day, as they practised wielding their magic.

I sat there quietly, reading through books consisting of any information about the sun. Fire. Light. Anything to explain what exactly my powers were and could do. The inter academy quarterfinals had been suspended for the week to let the students prepare for the incoming Guild Selections. It seemed like my little outburst had affected Everhart as she didn't summon to her chamber the entire next week. I guessed I should have expected that.

Elijah was back and seemed to be in full health, although, guilt bubbled in my stomach constantly. I was glad he had relapsed to pretending that I didn't exist. 

It was hard for me to concentrate as the three of them kept wielding their elements in little controlled instances. My mind kept drifting to Crystal, making it even harder to concentrate. I found myself thinking about her idly. Her laughter, her eyes, her lips.

"Do you think the Vartiyahs themselves train you?" Nia asked one evening as she neatly threaded a flame of fire between her fingers. 

Aahan shook his head. "I don't think so. They have people below them. And below them. And below-"

"We get it," Aris said, sighing. He leaned backwards and stifled a yawn. "It's so fucking boring. Just waiting on them. I wish they would recognize my abilities already and escort me to Sentinel Sognare with a huge parade."

He gazed off into the distance, his eyes sparkling. Aahan scoffed.

Aris ignored him and glanced at me. "What about you? How's your reading going?"

I snapped out of my reverie which consisted of Crystal and spoke stupidly, "What?"

He stared at me. "Your reading, Sunshine."

I stifled a yawn as I opened the book on the table and gazed despondently at it. "I couldn't find anything about light or fire. Or anything that connects them. I don't think I will be Selected anytime soon."

"Fire and Light?" Aahan. "Couldn't that just be fire?"

I shook my head. "When I-''

I started telling them about the time I had gone to retrieve the anchor, before releasing that they didn't know about it. The ring had enabled me to summon powers with more surety, however, it remained indefinite.

"No I...there have been instances when I have just lit up a place. No fire. Just light."

Aahan stared at me for a while, and seemed to chew on his tongue as if thinking hard. "I...but that's..." he whispered. He shook his head lightly as he got up, his eyes glassy. "I'll...wow."

He disappeared around one of the larger bookshelves as Aris raised an eyebrow at me.

"It would've been really annoying if he hadn't explained himself," Nia said, sighing. She got up and went after him. "I'll help him. Whatever he's doing."

She walked away and Aris leaned forward, lowering his voice as he spoke in a low voice, his eyes searching mine. "So, are you ever going to tell me or what?"

I stared at him, trying to think of the million things that I hadn't told him and about which one he meant. "Er...what?"

He shook his head. "Why were you in juvie?"

I was surprised that I didn't feel the twinge of annoyance I usually would. I shrugged awkwardly. "It was a minor thing that kind of...er...blew up."

"Drugs?" he asked.

I shook my head, smirking slightly. "You sound obscenely excited, Greenwood."

Aris sighed and leaned backwards. "Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's something worth gossiping or whatever. It's just...it's kind of hard to imagine you in juvie with junkies."