33. House of Cards

We made our way back to the dorm. My mind was reeling with the new flood of information. I didn't know what to believe. After everything that had happened, how could I be an Asterius?

There had been multiple times when my powers had been unable to help me. Even now, they seemed to have abandoned me when I needed them the most. If I was indeed the wielder of such legendary powers, then how come I had come close to death so many times before? But then, maybe that was the root of it all. I had come close to death, but I had escaped.

And could I be the child in the prophecy? There was no way. I was much weaker than my peers. Uncontrolled power. I didn't have the strength to wield light or fire or whatever the fuck it was.

I sighed and slumped against the elevator door. 

"Hey, Sunshine," Aris said softly after a while. "I hope you know I believe you."

I blinked at him, recovering from my reverie as he continued, "I...about that thing which you said attacked you. I...I did believe you." He looked at me from the corner of his eye. "I'm sorry it happened and I'm glad you're okay." 

I nodded at him, finding myself at a loss for words. It all felt unfamiliar somehow. 

We were silent as the elevator reached the tenth floor, and he turned to go. "I also don't think you should be going to your room tonight. As a precaution." I stared at him as he continued, "Come with us. I think we should try to practice your powers. And ours too. Maybe even try Nia's projection while at it."

I was puzzled again as to why he was so keen to help me. Even more shocking was how I yearned to believe him. Admittedly I was not looking forward to spending another night in the room where I had been almost killed and death threats remained scrawled beside my bed on the wall. My mind was still in a turmoil far too great to fall asleep anyway. I nodded finally.

"Alright. Let's go."

                                                                                        *

After a quarter of an hour later, we were walking towards the seventh floor of the central building. A place which Aris was sure, would be deserted at this time.

 Aahan was still in the library, which I was shocked to learn that remained open the entire night and Nia was tagging along with us silently. Her eyes were glassy, her lips pursed as if she was deep in thought. 

"What's on your mind?" I asked her curiously as she looked at me, blinking rapidly and seemed come to her senses. "I was just thinking..." she shook her head as if trying to get rid of a bothersome fly. "Nothing. Never mind."

I looked at her curiously but didn't press matters further. We were panting with effort as we climbed the staircase. The elevator was shut at this time of the night. We walked into a large hall room, not unlike the one where I had practised with Everhart what felt like ages ago. The hall was dark and I instinctively glanced at Aris, whose face was hidden under the shadows. I wondered if I should reach over and try to comfort him somehow, remembering his fear of the dark.

Nia switched on the lights and bathed the room in a soft glow and he let out a breath. I felt my heart sinking slightly. The strange yearning to comfort him had overpowered me for a second. 

He took a deep breath and walked over to stand at the other end of the hall, his gaze fixed on me. "Let's start." 

I nodded and tried to concentrate, my heart racing as the familiar empty feeling came to me again. I shut my eyes for a long time. The strange magentic force that I had felt earlier however seemed to be muted somehow. Elusive. I sighed and opened my eyes. "I can't feel it."