Part 1

December 23rd, 2011

It was nearing Christmas time, and both Katy and Russell were home in LA for the holiday season, having managed to take time off work, and in Katy’s case, a well-earned break from touring. Most families were enjoying the festivity and joy of Christmas around this time, but in the Perry-Brand household, the mood was anything but festive.

“No! I’ve told you a thousand times already, I’m not ready yet!” yelled Katy, her face bright red, her fists clenched in anger.

Russell retaliated just as angrily. “Well that’s not my fault, is it? Maybe it’s time to grow up, Katy!”

“Don’t you dare tell me to grow up, you jerk! Just because I married you, because I love you, doesn’t mean I’m ready to have a baby yet! You know that!”

Katy felt a tear beginning to escape from her eye and wiped it away impatiently. She was becoming all too accustomed to this same argument. They had been married for over a year now, and for the last six months the same issue had been the main focus of all their fights. No matter how hard Russell pushed, and no matter how hard Katy fought back, they were still at an impasse.

For the truth of the matter was, Katy just was not ready to have a baby. She loved children, and she would love to be a mother one day, but she knew that it was not the right time for her. Her music career had recently skyrocketed to an all-time high, and she was in the middle of her world tour, California Dreams. Unfortunately, Russell could not seem to understand Katy’s reasoning, believing she was being selfish. And maybe she was, but who could blame her? Her rise to stardom had hit her quickly, and before she knew it she had released two successful albums, begun a second world tour and got married to Russell, all within the space of a couple of years.

“For the love of God Katy, don’t start crying! You’re being ridiculous!” said Russell, rolling his eyes at his wife.

Katy saw red. “You think I’m crying on purpose?! You think I’m just being a drama queen and making this about me?! I’m genuinely upset that you won’t listen to me! I’m not just being selfish, you should know that by now!”

Russell snorted. “Yeah? Well enlighten me, Katy! Give me another one of your excuses!”

“You know what?” cried Katy. “I don’t have to tell you anything! You won’t listen to me anyway, so what’s the point? Just get out.”

“Right, now you’re kicking me out of my own home? Real mature, Katy.”

“Just leave!” screamed Katy, fed up with Russell’s sarcastic remarks and unwillingness to compromise. She covered her face with her hands and cried, and as she heard the front door slam behind her husband, she collapsed to the floor, sobs wracking her entire body.