4 | Puppet

Tonight is the night of the party. Be prepared, it's about to get messy...

~~~

-Zak's POV-

"Math is hard" I mumble to myself, scrunching up yet another sheet of failed workings. I stood up from my desk, shuffling over to my bed and staring angrily at my math book. I reached out my foot to knock it off the desk for good measure, but my legs were too short. My feet hovered about two inches from the desk.

I hate being short.

I settled to kick the chair instead, huffing a 'hanya!' as I did. No idea where the phrase came from, it's a like Darryl saying 'muffin' all the time I guess.

My phone suddenly buzzed with a message.  From Darryl, as if the world sensed me talking about him.

~2 unread messages~

Darryl
Hey muffin, how's the math homework going? Hope my tutoring helped you with it     @_@
7:14 pm

Darryl has been tutoring me all week after school. He was really patient with me, even if I did throw a couple things and yell.

A lot.

I typed back a quick response.

                                                                   You
   It's goung fine thks.
                                                            7:15 pm

I then realised I had another message from someone else. Who would be texting me on a Saturday evening? Maybe they just want to talk. I opened the message.

Vincent
Hey Zak, you're coming tonight right? Wanna walk there with me?
6:47 pm

My stomach dropped. How could I have forgotten?

Zelk's party.

I only ever went to Zelk's parties to protect my secret, knowing damn well Zelk would blurt it to everyone the second he realises I haven't show up. It was so stupid.

'I'm a changed person'

To hell with that now.

                                                                   You
              Sure I'll mert u ountsde mibe in 10.
                                                            7:17 pm

Vincent
Alright. See u then.
7:18 pm

~~~

It was crowded already.

People were spilling out of all 3 doors of Zelk's house. People were lounging around kissing on the front steps with cups of who knows what in their hands. Vincent grabbed my sleeve and pulled me through the mess to the front door. I was so glad I'd worn a tight coat, I didn't have to worry about holding down my sleeves this time.

The front porch was a mess, with cracked bottles and soda cans strewn across it. I coughed loudly, trying to force the cigarette smoke out of my lungs as Vincent dragged me through the front door.

The party was even worse inside. People were piled down the staircase by the entrance to what should've been a rather spacious house. Should've, as it was currently overrun by roughly 250 people.