23 | Secrets

. *. ~. *. ~. * Everyone has secrets... .*. ~. *. ~.

~~~

Thought you were getting a cute chapter about stargazing? HAH. Ya thought wrong. (You can have it later pls don't kill me I'm sorry.)
Love ya <3 ~ Owl

~~~

-Darryl's POV-

Sleeping in late has never been an option for me. My insomnia kind of decided that for me, if I sleep in past 4 am it's a miracle.

So here I am, wandering around my apartment at 2:20 am, softly singing 'drop the base' under my breath. Zak's not here anymore, he had to return home after the game to see his mom. He didn't leave that long ago though, after I insisted on driving him back as I refused to let my boyfriend walk home alone at 11 pm. He might get kidnapped.

It's eerily quiet, even for this time in the morning. I decide to get some fresh air, opening the sliding doors onto the small balcony. The faint thrum of music is barely audible from here, I'm guessing it's the celebration party Zak was invited to.

What if he decided to go to that instead, and that's why he left?

Maybe he doesn't want to spend time with you...

I'm being ridiculous. That boy literally confessed his love to me in front of the whole school less than 12 hours ago, there's no way that would be the case.

At least, that's what I convince myself as I take a seat on the balcony, staring off into the dark night. We had to move our stargazing unfortunately due to Zak's mom returning earlier than expected from her business trip.

{or maybe the author just wanted to postpone it for other reasons and needed a reason to lolol}

I like to think that he's watching the stars too sometimes when we're apart, it's comforting to think that and not feel so alone.

After who knows how long I return to the warmth of indoors, closing the balcony door behind me with a small creak. The apartments themselves are pretty rusty, all most all of the doors here creak.

I guess I'd hear an intruder from a mile off at least?

It's strange, seeing as the school is pretty well-off when it comes to funds. We're not like the typical 'no funds and awful food' sort of thing, the catering and facilities here are actually pretty decent.

Yes and that's why the baseball stadium is pristine and huge, and the dorms haven't been updated in three years...

I catch my headphones on the door handle, which pulls them out of my ears and phone, causing my music to blare out of my speakers at near full volume. The music was blaring pretty loud in my headphones, but it's even worse now.

I scramble for my phone, plugging back in the headphones. I hear footsteps outside my apartment, I've probably woken everyone up with the noise.

Feeling ridiculous, I decide to go and apologise to whoever's walking around outside. The footsteps slow, becoming louder and louder until they stop. From how loud they were, I'm presuming whoever was walking had now stopped outside my door to complain. I wait a few seconds for a knock, but nothing comes.

That's weird...

I take it upon myself to answer the door instead, knowing there's someone outside. My hand rests on the door handle as I listen for movement outside, but there is none. The eerie silence has returned. I turn the handle, pulling the door open.