The engagement party

The disco was in full swing, the food had been well presented, the hall looked beautiful and everyone was having a good time, well, almost everyone.

Rory was sat outside on a bench looking down with tears in his eyes. Amy came out and sat down next to him, "hey" she took his hand, "are you okay?"

"I can't believe she didn't come, my own mum"

"Oh Rory" she kissed his hand, "I know it's hard, after all you did to try and get her to come, but I hate seeing you like this, please come back inside, try and enjoy yourself, all our friends are here".

"I know, I know, you go back inside and I'll be in in a minute" he wiped his tears away.

"Okay, I'll see you in there" she stood up and took a few steps before turning around, "I love you".

He turned to look at her, "I love you too".

She went back inside and sat down at a table waiting for Rory to come back in. A couple of minutes later her best friend Laura came over and sat next to her. "Hey, how's Rory?"

"He's okay, just a bit upset about his mum not coming tonight"

"Aww bless him, anyway, I came over to get you to dance with me and the other girls, and I won't take no for an answer"

Amy smiled and they both went to the dance floor.

Rory smiled from the doorway as he watched his fiancée dancing and laughing with her friends.

"Rory?"

His eyes widened and he turned around as his mum joined him in the doorway. "I didn't think you were coming tonight"

"I came to apologise, about kicking you out and about what I said about Amy"

"It's okay mum, you just want what's best for me"

She looked over at Amy, "she really makes you happy doesn't she?"

"Like you wouldn't believe" he looked over at Amy as well and smiled, " I love her so much mum"

"Then I should be happy for you, if Amy makes you happy then I'm happy, you're my son Rory"

"That means so much to me mum" he hugged her, "thank you"

"Go on, go and enjoy your night with your fiancée"

"Promise me you'll stay?"

"I promise, now go"

Rory went and requested a slow song before grabbing Amy for a dance, "my mum came, she said she's sorry for what she said about you"

"It's okay, I'm just glad she came, I hated seeing you upset earlier"

"I love you Amy"

"I love you too Rory" she smiled and kissed him, resting her head on his shoulder and continuing to dance with him, "so much".