Life of the Party

Arthur shook his head, still confused but also panicked. He turned quickly to Upsilon, expecting answers.
"Where did you find her?" he asked in a sharp tone. The Paladin stepped forward.
"In an abandoned listening post in the North, Elder. We stopped to rest and re-fuel before heading back to the Airport. We found her sprawled out on one of the bunks inside. We called a vertibird immediately after finding her."
"Were there any signs of Raider or Gunner interference?" he asked, wondering who had done this to her. There could be no way she would do this to herself. The Paladin shook her head.
"No Elder. There were no bodies in or around the perimeter of the bunker, nor did she seem to be creating a defence of any sort. She was there along with a bag of her belongings." The Paladin then pointed to the foot of the bed where a dirty brown satchel was sitting.

Maxson heaved a sigh from his lungs. He looked to Cade.
"Treat her. Do anything you can. I will notify the Minutemen immediately. I'm sure they want to know her whereabouts." Cade gave a curt nod and began dismissing Recon Squad Upsilon as none of them appeared to be in a state requiring medical care.
"Paladin. Make sure to include accounts from all members of your team in your log of this mission. I will receive the log whenever you finish." Arthur spoke calmly to the woman. The Paladin gave a salute and a nod before heading off, breaking from Elder Maxson as he made way back to his office. He shut and locked the bay door behind him as he sat in the chair in front of his terminal, contemplating how to word this urgent message to the Minutemen.

************

The last time Maxson had seen the General was at the party that was thrown at the airport mere days after the Institute was destroyed. The Brotherhood and the Minutemen had come together to celebrate their joined victory and the birth of a new, safer Commonwealth. The liquor was flowing freely and for the first time in a long time, there was a general ease amongst the factions. She had been surrounded by her fellow Minutemen, radiating a positive energy along with a smile. She had a glass of Bobrov Brother's vodka in hand, taking gentle sips from it periodically while listening to the chatter of her friends.
"Lila!" Piper, the sassy reporter from Diamond City, had called to her across the yard, where a radio was playing the smooth music of Diamond City Radio and small groups were dancing.

Sure enough, Lila walked quickly over to the make-shift dance floor, her soft auburn ponytail bouncing with her body. Her and Piper began to sway to the music, giggling at their foolish and uncoordinated moves. The two of them were almost inseparable, it made him wonder what they were going to do now that the Institute was gone. For now, he knew the two of them were happy being the life of the party. Arthur leaned against the box of supplies beside him, dragging on a cigar, watching her from the distance. A few seconds later her eyes lifted to meet his across the yard. Her eyes changed colour depending on the light. In the dim lighting of the party, they appeared grey, but he knew in the bright sunshine they were more of a blue tone. Once their eyes met she gave him a small smile and a wave. He nodded back, letting the tiniest smile slip onto the corner of his lips.

************

What in the hell had happened to the Sole Survivor of Vault 111 since that night? This question haunted Arthur as he proofread his message to the Minutemen.

From the terminal of Elder Arthur Maxson Elder of the Brotherhood of Steel Eastern Chapter

February 20, 2289

To Colonel Preston Garvey or whom this may concern,

The General of the Minutemen, Lila Smith, was found during the early hours of the morning by our Recon Squad Upsilon while on mission in the North of the Commonwealth. She was airlifted to the Prydwen and is receiving the best care available. Will update when she awakens or if status changes.

Arthur leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes as he rubbed his temples. Informing next of kin of injuries, or worse, was his least favourite part of his position as Elder. He was the bearer of bad news to so many families who lost loved ones to the horrors of the wastelands. However, it came with the job, there wasn't much he could do he reminded himself. Arthur rose from his desk, walking from his office to the command deck. Once there he looked out at the Commonwealth below, the rays of the afternoon sun now fully dousing the terrain in light. At moments like this, he almost forgot that out there the world had been torn apart by atomic bombs and nuclear fallout. At that moment, the Commonwealth appeared to be forgiving and harmless. However, he, and everyone else, knew otherwise.