1. Princess?!

Canute POV:

Prince Canute is being held hostage by Thorkell the Tall. It was to no one's surprise that Canute's men were not able to hold up against Thorkell's savage vikings. So this is where he is now, sitting in a wagon with his escort Ragnar and priest Willibald, with his wrists chained. He's glad his helm is covering his face, because that way Thorkell can not see the fear in his eyes. Oh well, I probably will not die because Thorkell clearly wants to make use of my status for his own gain, Canute reassured himself. However, his fingers continued to tremble.

The cold breeze lifted his long pale hair, and danced in the air. Canute tilted his head up, sniffing the air. He smelled faint charred wood in the distance. Thorkell seemed to notice too, and he stood up abruptly, which halted the moving troops.

"Is this wildfire?" One of his vikings asked, unable to tell friend from foe in the midst of the smoke.

"Wildfire? This fire was set," Thorkell said, walking around with a huge ax in his grasp. "But it wasn't their  idea." Thorkell continued, referring to the troops of King Sweyn's men who had just arrived prior, attempting to rescue Canute to no avail. "Why would they burn both sides to a crisp when they just want to rescue the prince?" After a moments hesitation, Thorkell gave his men a big meaty grin. "This means... there's a third force nearby..."

Thorfinn POV:

"Look at that baby burn," Askeladd said smugly, lighting the trees around him on fire. It turned into a domino effect, and spread throughout the forest. "It's been forever since we had a good rain." Thorfinn scoffed from the sidelines, his arms crossed. Although, he had to admit to himself that this tactic is a good way to get rid of Thorkell's men, and also a way to discreetly capture the Prince amidst the confusion.

"Thorfinn!" Askeladd called, from the front lines. Thorfinn didn't respond. Instead he just walked forward and gave Askeladd a glare. "Pour water on him," Askeladd ordered his men. Two men jumped forward with wooden barrels filled with water, and proceeded to dump it on the boy. The water soaked through Thorfinn's long leather cloak he wore to hide himself. He leaped onto his horse and lifted the hood of his cloak to hide his face. "You spotted Prince Canute earlier, right?" Askeladd asked, as Thorfinn adjusted the saddle of his horse. "He's in the feathered helm and red cape. Don't get the wrong man."

"Hmph." Thorfinn gumpily replied. He then yanked at the reins of the horse, and sped through the forest in search of the prince. "You spotted the Prince Canute earlier, right?" It was only a glimpse, yet Thorfinn couldn't help but be reminded of his presence. His silky blond hair dancing in the breeze, his face covered with a royal helm, and his majestic red cape blowing in the wind. Thorfinn wanted to see the prince up close. He seemed so mysterious that Thorfinn could not resist to be lured in by his presence. For some reason, his heart started beating rapidly as he neared closer to Thorkell's army. The prince is somewhere there, hidden in the smoke. Thorfinn told himself these words to calm his nerves.

Suddenly, he saw a feathered helm poking through the gray smoke. Thorfinn let out a small gasp. There he is! 

Canute POV:

Ragnar helped Canute get off the wagon, and told Willibald to stand by and protect Canute. As Ragnar coughed while trying to blow the smoke away with his hands, Canute turned to look at his priest standing next to him. Willibald was doing a lousy job of protecting the prince, he just stood there with his barrel of wine, sipping away as if nothing going on around him mattered. Ragnar coughed again. "We must get downwind! Forget about Thorkell! We must escape this blaze!" Ragnar trudged forward and Canute followed. They only moved forward a couple of steps when suddenly a spear poked through the smoke.