10. Stop Doing This To Yourself

Canute POV:

That night, Thorfinn, Askeladd, Thorkell, and Canute hiked up the snowy hill on the other side of the palace. Canute had an uneasy feeling about all of this, but he decided to give the men what they wanted. Askeladd and Thorfinn prepared themselves for their duel, permitted by Canute. However, Canute told them he would stop them the moment before someone gets seriously injured.

Canute knew of Thorfinn's detest for Askeladd, and his need for revenge. He decided to respect Thorfinn's personal feelings and allow this duel. However, he was still hesitant about it. Askeladd is far stronger than Thorfinn, and Canute could sense that Askeladd was going to show him no mercy today. Canute looked at Thorfinn, concerned for the boy's well being.

Thorkell and Canute stood on the sidelines, watching as the two men unsheathed their weapons. Canute bit his lip nervously, as Thorfinn and Askeladd dueled. Askeladd instantly had the upper hand, swinging his long sword and almost scathing Thorfinn countless times. Thorfinn dodged, but not fast enough. A couple of moments later, he was covered in bruises and bleeding. Thorfinn stood back up, trying to close the distance between them so his blades would reach Askeladd.

"Who do you think will win? I'm betting ten gold coins on Askeladd." Thorkell remarked to the prince, his big arms crossed.

Canute sighed, watching the men duel with intent eyes. "I'm not betting anything."

Thorkell turned to get a good look at Canute's face. He noticed that his brows were furrowed and his forehead was creased with worry. Canute bit his lip and clenched his fists, wincing every time Askeladd swung his heavy metal sword at the boy he loved. "Are you worried, prince?" Thorkell asked, as he observed the anxiousness of the prince.

Canute looked at Thorkell, flustered by the sudden question. "W-what? No! I just cannot allow either of them to die. They are my loyal subjects after all."

Thorkell let out a strong brawny chuckle, and continued to gaze at the fight. Canute sighed and turned to look at the duel. Thorfinn was on the snowy ground, his right arm injured and his left leg bleeding profusely. Askeladd had gone mad, he had his sword pointed towards Thorfinn and was nearly about to stab the boy, before Canute intervened.

"Stop this duel immediately!!" Canute yelled, hurriedly walking towards the men. Thorkell whined next to him, sad that the duel had been stopped. Canute rushed towards Thorfinn and picked him up from the ground. Askeladd grunted and staggered off, towards a stone wall to sit upon. Canute placed Thorfinn's head on his lap, caressing the boy softly.

Canute got a good look at Thorfinn's roughed up face in this position. His face had purple bruises everywhere, and there was blood smeared on his cheeks. Canute could feel Thorfinn shivering in the cold, and noticed a frostbite on his nose. Tears rolled down Canute's face as Thorfinn groaned at the pain.

"Thorfinn..." Canute sniffled, stroking his pale fingers through Thorfinn's damp and muddy hair. Then Canute suddenly lifted Thorfinn's shoulders and faced the boy towards him, somewhat harshly. They were face to face with their knees deep in the snow, and Thorfinn stared at Canute blankly, unable to process what was going on. "Thorfinn! Why do you keep on doing this?" Canute yelled, shaking Thorfinn's shoulder. Thorfinn didn't answer, because pain was searing through every inch of his body. "Everyday! Everyday, you carelessly injure yourself! Why?!" Canute continued, crying as he clenched Thorfinn's shoulder with his hands. Canute could feel Askeladd and Thorkell's eyes on him, but he didn't care. All that mattered to him was Thorfinn.

"Huh..?" Thorfinn muttered, confused as to why Canute was crying. He wanted to reach out and wipe the tears of his lovers face, although for some reason his arm couldn't move at his will, no matter how much strength he mustered.