3. At the Dinner Table

Thorfinn POV:

Thorfinn was knee's deep in the snow, his blade in his hand. He waited for the perfect moment, when the rabbit he had his eyes on was completely still. In a flash it was over, the rabbit had been struck down by a quick throw of his blade. Thorfinn smiled, his stomach rumbling. My dinner!

Thorfinn was walking around with the dead rabbit swung over his shoulder, searching for a good spot to eat his meal alone. While he was walking, he passed by Ragnar who was standing in front of a house in the village Askeladd took over to hide from Thorkell.

"Oho! Quite a fine looking hare." Ragnar said, pointing to the hare on Thorfinn's shoulder. "You caught this, Thorfinn?" Thorfinn turned around and gave Ragnar a glare. "Is that to be your dinner?" Ragnar continued, unfazed. "Do you always eat alone?"

Why does he care?  Thorfinn sighed to himself. "Will you cook it?" Ragnar asked. Has he always been this nosy? Thorfinn thought to himself, pausing before responding.

"Buzz off, cone head. What if I will?" Thorfinn replied, turning around to leave.

"A meal of meat alone isn't healthy. Stew it with greens." Ragnar said, unknowingly annoying Thorfinn. "Hand over the rabbit, and I'll make a soup of it."

"Mind your own business. I'll eat it as I like." Thorfinn scoffed.

Ragnar opened the door to the small house next to him. "Just come here, boy. You'll need to borrow someone's fire anyway, won't you? So come inside and use ours." Ragnar took a step inside.

So come inside and use ours. Does he mean Canute is in that house, too?  Thorfinn smacked his forehead. Of course, the spoiled brat is always with the cone head. Thorfinn followed Ragnar inside the house.

Once they arrived inside, Thorfinn skimmed the room, and noticed Canute kneeling on the floor next to a fire. He had a wooden spoon in his head, testing the soup he was brewing in a pot atop the fire. Canute had his hair tied back in a low ponytail, with his pale bangs pushed forward. Canute was not wearing his usual red cape, instead he had on a simple leather tunic and wool pants. Thorfinn looked at the prince in shock. It was definitely not a sight he was expecting.

"Highness!" Ragnar called. "We have beans, cabbage, and a hare!"

"A hare?" Prince Canute said, looking up at Ragnar, not yet noticing Thorfinn who was standing at the doorway.

"Thorfinn caught it. We shall put it in the soup." Ragnar explained, gesturing towards Thorfinn.

Canute's eyes brightened at the sight of Thorfinn. "Well done, Thorfinn! Ragnar, bleed and skin it so we wash the meat." Thorfinn blushed slightly at the compliment Canute said to him. I didn't catch it for you, princess. He wanted to say, but no words left his mouth.

Instead, Thorfinn tossed the rabbit to Canute. "What are you now? A housewife?" He said, sarcastically. Canute just looked up at Thorfinn and chuckled, handing Ragnar the rabbit to prepare. Thorfinn watched as Canute skillfully chopped the cabbage and poured it into the pot of soup. He wondered if Canute's food would taste any good.

Thorfinn sat at the wooden table, and Canute set the pot of soup in the middle. He pored some of the soup in three bowls, for Ragnar, Thorfinn, and himself. He handed Thorfinn his bowl, and gave him some bread alongside. He then poured some wine in a glass for the wide eyed boy. Thorfinn just stared at the meal, while Ragnar and Canute began.

Ragnar took a big gulp. "Mm. Not bad, considering what we had."

"The rabbit made it work." Canute said, breaking a piece of bread. "I'm tired of salted meat. You have my thanks, Thorfinn." Canute looked over at Thorfinn, who was sitting at the head of the table. "What's wrong? Eat up. You caught the rabbit, so I gave you a big portion." Canute said, picking up his glass of wine.